Sometimes it may be necessary to change the serial number used for your SolidWorks installation, for instance if you need to change from a stand alone to a network based license, or if you have installed the wrong license (such as perhaps your coworker’s Premium license … ) on your system.
To change the serial number that your SolidWorks installation is using for it’s licensing you do not need to completely uninstall SolidWorks and you don’t have to hack you Windows registry, you can change it directly through the SolidWorks Installation Manager.
To change the serial number:
1. Go to the Windows Control Panel and launch “Programs and Features” (if you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7) or “Add Remove Programs” (if you are using Windows XP).
2. From the list of installed programs find the SolidWorks installation, select it and click Change. (Not Uninstall, if the only option available is Uninstall, then your SolidWorks was installed using an Administrative Image and you will need to get your IT administrator to contact your SolidWorks Value Added Reseller for further instructions)
3. The SolidWorks Installation Manager will now launch. Select the top option, “Modify the individual installation” and click “Next”.
4. On the “Serial Number” screen of the Installation Manager you can now change the serial number to the new one that you want to use.
5. Once the new serial number is in click “Next” through the rest of the installation screens without making any further changes.
A similar procedure can be followed if you have purchased an additional license of SolidWorks Simulation, SolidWorks Motion, SolidWorks Flow Simulation or SolidWorks Workgroup PDM.
On the Serial Number screen simply check the box beside the product you wish to add and enter in the serial number. On the “Product Selection” page make sure that the additional products that should be installed are selected.
Leave a Reply