In the first part of this case study, we focused on reverse engineering the landing gear compartment with Javelin’s 3D Senior Applications Specialist Deandra Reid, and aviation enthusiast Michael Shuler. Now that we have exported the data using Artec Studio into Geomagic for SOLIDWORKS, we will explore how the data is converted into 3D CAD models.
Bryan Sprange is a Technical Solutions Expert located in Javelin’s Winnipeg office. Bryan has a background working in Aerospace, specifically designing parts and landing gear tooling. In the first video, we saw Deandra using the Artec Eva scanner to capture data into Artec Studio. To get a digital copy of the underside of the plane, Bryan used a combination of SOLIDWORKS and Geomagic to design the landing gear door panels.
Reduce design time
Geomagic for SOLIDWORKS is software that provides the most complete scan-to-SOLIDWORKS model solution. It’s as simple as pressing the “Export to SOLIDWORKS” button in Artec Studio to export the model into SOLIDWORKS. The seamless workflow reduces the time required to build 3D models.
Avoid costly delays with Geomagic for SOLIDWORKS
The scanned data and the original drawings are used to create a SOLIDWORKS model. Geomagic can extract simple features and complex surfaces to ensure an accurate part. In this case, Geomagic uses existing plane geometry to help with the design to ensure it’s the perfect fit. It allows a seamless transition during the design process. We are confident knowing the panels will line up with the aircraft once they are manufactured, avoiding costly delays and re-work.
Watch the next video in the series – 3D printing aviation components.
Geomagic for SOLIDWORKS
- 3D Scan directly inside SOLIDWORKS
- Directly digitize geometric shapes and sketches
- Edit, and Merge Point and Polygon data
- Intelligently extract shapes & sketches from Polygon data
- Automatically convert meshes data into accurate CAD surfaces
- Capture and use real world 3d shapes and features with high resolution inside SOLDWORKS
- Use accurate part location references, or feature references in your design file
- Extend the SOLIDWORKS environment to work powerfully with Point and Polygon data types.
- Geomagic makes polygon data usable inside a design environment
- Reduce time to market for your product by eliminating inefficiency in the design process
Find more resources for topic: