Training Course Contents
This basic to intermediate course covers the use of the SOLIDWORKS VBA ("built-in" Visual Basic for Applications) programming environment. In addition, this course provides you with introductory Visual Basic for Applications training to help familiarize you with the programming language.
You will be provided with many examples and working programs that can be used immediately in your work.
This training course will help you to:
- Create VBA modules and forms
- Have a working understanding of syntax used in VBA for decision making and looping
- Understand the concepts of modular programming
Course Info at a glance
Requirements & Benefits
Skills you will acquire
The following lessons are included in the SOLIDWORKS Visual Basic course
Lesson 1 - Introduction to the VBA Development Environment
- The Menu Bar and Toolbar
- The Form Window
- The Toolbox
- The Project Explorer Window
- The Properties Window
Lesson 2 - Analyzing a Visual Basic Program
- Event-Driven Programs
- Control Events
- Analyzing a Sample Application
- Naming Objects
- Running Applications
- The Toolbox
- The Code
- Event Procedures
- Properties and Event Procedures
Lesson 3 - Controls and Properties
- Creating New Applications
- Controls Provide the Interface
- Placing Controls
- Sizing and Moving Controls
- Setting Properties
- Giving Your Users Help
- Named Literals
- Creating an Application from Scratch
Lesson 4 - Labels, Buttons and Text Boxes
- Control Focus
- The Mouse and Hotkeys Need No Focus
- Related Properties
- Tab Order
- Command Buttons
- Text Boxes
- Form Properties
Lesson 5 - Putting Code into Visual Basic
- Coding Basics
- Data Basics
- Scientific Notation
- Specifying Values
- Variables Hold Data
- The Dim Statements Location
- Putting Data in Variables
- Expressions and Math Operators
Lesson 6 - Making decisions with VBA
- Comparison Operators
- Keep Each Sides Data Type Consistent
- The If Statement
- The If Statements Else Branch
- Compound Comparisons with the Logical Operators
- Multiple Choice with Select Case
- The Select Case Statement
- Two More Select Case Formats
Lesson 7 - Looping with VBA
- The Do While Loops
- The Loops Termination
- The Do Until Loop
- Which Loop Is Best?
- The Other Do Loops
- The For Loop
- Terminating Loops Early
Lesson 8 - Modular Programming
- Structured Programming
- Calling Procedures and Returning from Them
- Why Code External Modules?
- Coding Subroutines
- Coding Functions
- Coding Arguments
- Receiving by Reference and by Value
Lesson 9 - Built-In Functions
- Numeric Functions
- String Functions
- A Mid Statement?
- Date and Time Functions
- Data-Testing Functions
- Data Conversion Functions
- Format Function
- You'll Rarely Need Format Codes
Lesson 10 - Debugging Techniques
- Kinds of Errors
- The Debugger
- Setting Breakpoints
- Stepping Through Code
- The Call Stack Shows Where You’ve Been
- The Immediate Window
- Tips on Trouble Shooting
"The SOLIDWORKS Visual Basic course was hands-on and provided specific help with work related problems."
— Cornel Maris, L-3 Wescam
"The instructor was very knowledgeable in the field, and was very quick to answer any and all questions. Great techniques for speeding up my programming."
— Jake Richardson, Proslide
Choose from three different training methods available to you
Receive SOLIDWORKS training as a group in a traditional classroom environment.
Classes can be taken in one of our 12 training locations across Canada using SOLIDWORKS approved training content and methodologies.
- Cost effective training method.
- Leave the office to concentrate on learning.
- Learn more through group questions and feedback.
Live Online Training
With our online training you will experience an interactive learning environment where you can give feedback, gain access to the SOLIDWORKS training files and get time to work on training exercises.
- Online courses are typically half day sessions.
- More effective than video based training, with recorded videos learners are often not as focused on the training and skip exercises.
Onsite at your location
Receive training at your place of work. This style of flexible training is perfect for teams or individuals who are faced with a specific challenge and require personalized courses with on-the-job coaching.
- Use our state-of-the-art mobile classroom at your facility.
- Bring your team up to a consistent level of knowledge by having them take the same training at the same time.
- Benefit from flexible scheduling options.
Choose a SOLIDWORKS Visual Basic for Applications class from the list below
Get Custom Training
Contact us to learn how the SOLIDWORKS Visual Basic for Applications course can be included in custom training for your business