I’m a big advocate of video based online training having created a lot of this type of courseware over the years. I’ve witnessed the benefits that this style of training provides to SOLIDWORKS users. But video based training is designed for a specific type of learner who primarily wants to learn at their own pace in short training sessions. If you are looking for this style of learning we offer MySolidWorks video based training, it provides introductory training and a source of reference for SOLIDWORKS features.
Disadvantages of Video Based Online Training
However there are many disadvantages to this style of online learning when compared to traditional classroom based training, here are just a few:
- Not as comprehensive — sure the content is great but for a full training course a learner needs to view a lot of videos. What this means is learners often skip ahead with video based learning to speed up the process and typically miss out on important content
- Not as effective — with no live instructor available to show you specific techniques and answer your questions it can be less effective. Plus Instructors are not as effective when they are recording training content without a live audience.
- Not as motivational — video based training has less engagement and learners typically tend to get distracted. Also without a live instructor you are not driven to complete exercises and there is no reward for completion.
- Requires more discipline — videos offer one way communication, this means that learners need to be dedicated to watching and listening without obtaining any feedback.
- Not as enjoyable for learner or instructor — interaction and delivery from a live instructor is a much more enjoyable experience for everyone involved, rather than the static delivery of pre-recorded content. One of the most effective methods of learning is through the interaction between a learner and an instructor.
SOLIDWORKS Online Training without the disadvantages
Our customers were looking for more in-depth SOLIDWORKS online training that still retained the convenience of learning online, without the requirement of spending all day learning in a classroom. This is how the idea for Javelin Online Live Training was formed ⇒ to give customers the benefits of online and classroom training in a less time consuming format.
Watch the video below to learn about online live training from our training manager, and hear what our customers have to say about their learning experience:
A Better Learning Experience
Javelin Online Live Training or JOLT for short is our method of delivering classroom based training directly to your desktop. We know that your time is valuable and leaving your workplace to take training is not always possible. So for just a few hours a day you can take LIVE SOLIDWORKS training over the web, giving you the benefits of classroom training with the convenience of online training, and overcoming those main disadvantages of video based training.
JOLT is delivered on a live interactive learning environment where you can ask questions, receive immediate answers from the instructor, and learn hands-on with SOLIDWORKS exercise files featured in the course. You receive a training manual and a headset before the course starts so you can follow along with the training and interact with the instructor.
I am in the process of taking an online surfacing course and like the ability to do that rather than travel to Javelin to take the course, additionally it will make it easier in the future to take additional training in this fashion.
— Randy Sutherland, MacGregors Group
Benefits of Online Live Training
Here are just a few of the benefits that online LIVE training provides for our customers:
- Training that reduces work day disruption — It’s convenient and allows for little disruption to your working day. JOLT courses are split up into 4 hours per day.
- Live instruction from certified trainers — Certified SOLIDWORKS Experts are able to pass on their experience and provide best practices and tips during line online courses.
- Live access to the Instructor — Get help by virtually raising your hand via the online training system, and privately chat with the instructor just like classroom based training.
- Hands-on practical training — You get plenty of time to try out the exercises and learn by using your SOLIDWORKS software.
- Receive a certificate when training is complete — Just like our classroom based training courses you will receive a certificate when you have completed a course.
There is a wide variety of training courses available live over the web, including:
SOLIDWORKS CAD Training
Our SOLIDWORKS courses allow you to develop your skills with process based training. Start with the SOLIDWORKS Essentials course and move on to Part Modeling, Surfacing, and Advanced Assemblies, creating Drawings, and Animation. You can also take application specific courses including Sheet Metal,Weldments, and Routing courses. All the courses are hands-on and will allow you to learn how to use SolidWorks by carrying out common tasks.
SOLIDWORKS Simulation Training
We take the complexity out of learning how to apply SolidWorks Simulation to the design process. You will learn how to become more productive through comprehensive hands-on training. Courses cover the different modules available with simulation including SOLIDWORKS Simulation Professional, SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation,SOLIDWORKS Simulation Dynamics, SOLIDWORKS Simulation Nonlinear and SOLIDWORKS Motion. Training is delivered by certified instructors with years of real world FEA and CFD design experience.
SOLIDWORKS Electrical Training
Learn how to use the intelligent system design tools available with SOLIDWORKS Electrical 2D and SOLIDWORKS Electrical 3D, including a comprehensive parts database, and real-time integration of your 2D schematics and 3D models. Courses are delivered by SolidWorks Electrical specialists with real life electrical experience.
Designed to help understand and interpret the fundamentals of GD&T. It is based on the ASME Y14.5 – 2009 standard. Formally the ASME Y14.5M – 1994 standard. Our fundamentals course is a valuable tool for any individual who has to create or interpret engineering drawings; for product and gauge designers; CMM operators and quality assurance personnel.
Get Started with Live SOLIDWORKS Online Training
If you are interested in taking a Javelin Online Live Training course for SOLIDWORKS then please review our online schedule.