Here is an overview of the SOLIDWORKS SolidNetWork License (SNL) Manager Server application that is used to manage SOLIDWORKS network licenses.
After installing the SolidNetWork License Manager on your server machine you will then be able to manage the service.
Activating the License Manager Server
To start the SolidNetWork License Manager Server select Start > SOLIDWORKS Tools 20XX > SolidNetWork License Manager Server
The SolidNetWork License Server will now start on your machine:
The Server Administration tab provides the ability to Start and Stop the service. After installation and activation, the service is automatically started. Client machines ping the server every 30 minutes. If the service is stopped, users have 30 minutes until a message will be given that no licenses are available and will be forced to save their work and close the session of SOLIDWORKS.
- View Log will provide a text file with logs of the license usage. A 3rd party FlexLM license usage monitor application would be required to process the logs into a report format.
- Modify allows you to Reactivate or Deactivate the license, as well as see currently activated products.
The License Usage tab provides information on the number of free and used licenses. A list of users will be provided to determine who is using a specific license. The ‘Product’ dropdown provides information for each license.
NOTE: A SOLIDWORKS Standard license is required for all Professional or Premium licenses. For example, if you have 2 Standard, 2 Professional, and 2 Premium licenses, you will see a total of 6 Standard licenses. All users initially obtain a Standard license until a Pro or Premium add-in is selected.
The remaining three tabs (Server List, License Borrowing, License Order) are typically used on client machines.
Here is a summary of upgrading, moving the server, and modifying serial numbers:
Upgrading SolidNetWork License Manager Server
The License Manager can be directly upgraded from a previous release. Use the newer Installation Manager to perform the installation using Server Products > Upgrade SolidNetWork License Manager.
You can upgrade the License Manager to a new version without requiring users to close SOLIDWORKS if you have the installation files ready. Client machines check the status of the License Manager service every 30 minutes, but the upgrade and reactivation can complete in less time. If the service is not restarted within this timeframe, users will be prompted to save their work and close SOLIDWORKS.
NOTE: The SolidNetwork License Manager must be the same major release (year) or newer than all SOLIDWORKS clients. The minor release (service pack) doesn’t apply. The License Manager can provide licenses for prior releases.
IMPORTANT: Once the new version is installed, it must be reactivated to obtain the new licenses, read our SNL upgrade article to learn more.
- Open the SolidNetWork License Manager Server on the hosted server.
- On the ‘Server Administration’ tab click ‘Modify’
- In the following dialogue window, select ‘Activate/Reactivate your product license(s)’
- Click ‘Next’ and then follow the rest of the on-screen instructions to complete the reactivation procedure
Moving the SolidNetWork License Manager to another Server
A SOLIDWORKS network serial number can only be activated on one server at a time. Therefore, the license must be deactivated from the old server before activating the new server.
For detailed instructions on moving the License Manager to a new server, please review our moving SNL article.
Modifying Serial Numbers in the SolidNetWork License Manager Server
To change a serial number in the SolidNetWork License Manager:
- Go into the Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features
- Right-click on ‘SOLIDWORKS SolidNetWork License Manager’ and Change
- Choose to ‘Modify’ the install
- Add/change serial numbers (separated by commas)
- Reactivate the License Manager
Get Certified SOLIDWORKS Services from Javelin
Javelin Experts can help you to: