Migrating CAD data to a new design software can be a difficult task. Whether transporting legacy data or simply accessing designs developed in a different design environment, SOLIDWORKS PCB makes the process easy. Using the SOLIDWORKS PCB Import Files Feature, design files from other electrical tools can be converted, often in less than a minute.
Configure Import Settings
Import settings specific to other design software can be configured in the System Preferences. Software including: EAGLE, Protel 99SE, OrCAD, PADS, Mentor and AutoCAD PCB are available to be configured.
- File > System Preferences > Importers
Performing an Import
- A PCB Project must be created or opened before the Import feature will be enabled:
- File > New PCB Project
- Execute the import command:
- File > Import
- Choose the file type from the list of Electrical tools:
- For importing Altium Designer files, schematic and library files can be opened normally. However, PCB document files from Altium Designer must be opened through the Import feature.
- Navigate and pick the design files to be converted and select OK. The SOLIDWORKS PCB Import Files conversion will happen in the background and you will receive a completion message when finished.
The files have now been converted to the corresponding SOLIDWORKS PCB file format with all references intact.