SOLIDWORKS Composer can directly import Product Manufacturing Information (PMI) data from SOLIDWORKS models. PMI conveys attributes that are necessary for manufacturing a product component.
The attributes include geometric dimensions and tolerances (GD&T), datums, dimensions, Special symbols such as diameters and degrees and surface finishes.
To import PMI data into SOLIDWORKS Composer:
- When SOLIDWORKS parts and assemblies are saved, Importing PMI functionality has to be enabled from the SOLIDWORKS software through Tools > Options > System Options > Export > SMG and select Export PMI.
- Now launch SOLIDWORKS Composer > File > Open
- On the Open dialog box > click Import and select Import PMI.
- To modify the PMI colors during import, select Overwrite color and choose a color, which is applied to all the imported PMI data.
- Composer stores the PMI data in the PMI Data (SOLIDWORKS) folder under a root node on the Assembly tab.Select or clear check boxes to hide or show the PMI data.
- Composer imports view-based data such as annotation views from SOLIDWORKS and 3D views from SOLIDWORKS MBD. Composer stores these views in the PMI Views (SOLIDWORKS) folder under a root node on the Assembly tab in Composer. The 3D Views and Annotation Views sub-folders contain these categories of imported views.
- After you import the PMI data into a .smg file, the PMI data is visible in Composer Player as well.