What is SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation?
SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation gives product engineers access to powerful CFD (computational fluid dynamics) analysis capabilities that help enable them to speed up product innovation.
Leveraging the familiar SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD environment, this extensive technology isn’t just about making sure your product works, it’s about understanding how your product will behave in the real world.
Why use flow software?
Product engineers and CFD experts alike, armed with the power of SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation, can predict flow fields, mixing processes, and heat transfer, and directly determine pressure drop, comfort parameters, fluid forces, and fluid structure interaction during design.
SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation enables true concurrent CFD, without the need for advanced CFD expertise.
Built to tackle CFD engineering challenges, with CAD integration, advanced geometry meshing and flow capabilities
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation uses Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analysis to enable quick, efficient simulation of fluid flow and heat transfer. You can easily calculate fluid forces and understand the impact of a liquid or gas on product performance.
- Liquid and gas flow with heat transfer
- External and internal fluid flows
- Laminar, turbulent, and transitional flows
- Time-dependent flow
- Subsonic, transonic, and supersonic regimes
- Gas mixture, liquid mixture
- Conjugate heat transfer
- Heat transfer in solids
- Incompressible and compressible liquid
- Compressible gas
- Real gases
- Water vapor (steam)
- Non-Newtonian liquids (to simulate blood, honey, molten plastics)
Evaluate and compare design alternatives with the visualization and reporting capabilities of SOLIDWORKS Simulation. Increase your ability to make informed design decisions while you ensure product performance and safety. Animate the response of your assembly under loads to visualize:
- Vibration modes
- Contact behaviour
- Optimization alternatives
- Flow trajectories
Fluid Flow Analysis
Determine the impact of a liquid or gas on product performance during the design phase using CAD-embedded SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation.
Fluid flow analysis provide meaningful insight into the impact of fluid flow, so you can address problems early, reduce the need for costly prototypes, and eliminate rework.
Electronics Thermal Management
Quickly perform complete component thermal analysis on designs incorporating printed circuit boards (PCBs) and electronics with easy-to-use SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation and the Electronic Cooling Module.
Thermal Comfort Factors
Understand and evaluate thermal comfort levels for multiple environments using thermal comfort factor analysis with SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation and the HVAC Application Module.
Thermal Fluid Analysis
Easily investigate the impact of cooling and design changes on component temperatures using thermal fluid analysis in SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation. You can quickly determine the impact of fluids flowing in and around the design to ensure correct thermal performance, product quality, and safety.
- Detect hot spots in your designs
- Reduce overheating challenges
- Improve thermal isolation
- Leverage thermal performance in your products
|Ease of Use/Intuitiveness|
|Embedded in SOLIDWORKS|
|Communication & Reports|
|Design Comparison Studies|
|Fluid Flow Simulation|
|Thermal Fluid Simulation||-||-|
|Enriched Library for HVAC||-||-|
|Thermal Comfort Parameters Simulation||-||-|
|Advanced Radiation Simulation||-||-|
|Enriched Library for Electronic Cooling||-||-|
|Dedicated Electronic Cooling Simulation||-||-|
|Joule Heating Simulation||-||-|
SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation Features
Take the complexity out of flow analysis
Evaluate and optimize complex flows
SOLIDWORKS CFD analysis for liquid flow, gas flow, or heat transfer can help you deliver innovative designs and greater product efficiency. Typical problems solved include:
- Examine complex flows through and around your components with parametric analysis.
- Align your model with flow conditions, such as pressure drop, to satisfy design goals.
- Detect turbulences and recirculation issues with animated flow trajectories.
- Aerodynamic simulation to calculate lift and drag forces.
- Understand the flow of non-Newtonian liquids, such as blood and liquid plastic.
- Assess the impact of different impellers and fans on your design.
- Include sophisticated effects like porosity, cavitation, and humidity.
Reduce the risk of overheating in your designs
Easily investigate the impact of cooling and design changes on component temperatures using thermal fluid analysis in SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation.
You can quickly determine the impact of fluids flowing in and around the design to ensure correct thermal performance, product quality, and safety.
- Visualize and understand temperature distribution in and around your products.
- Couple flow with thermal analysis, simulating convection, conduction, and radiation effects.
- Simulate advanced radiation with semitransparent material and wavelength-dependent radiative properties with the HVAC module.
- Apply time- and coordinate-dependent boundary conditions and heat sources.
- Find the best dimensions to satisfy your design goals, such as heat exchanger efficiency.
- Get thermal heat sources and PCB layer definition from EDA thermal properties.
SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation Packages
Industry and application specific tools for CFD analysis
SOLIDWORKS HVAC Applications
The SOLIDWORKS HVAC Applications Module helps designers / engineers test and optimize air and gas movement in working and living environments
SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation Benefits
Gain valuable insights with powerful and intuitive results visualization tools
Study & Compare Designs
Utilize Section or Surface plots to study the distribution of resultant values, including velocity, pressure, vorticity, temperature, and mass fraction
Compare the Fluid Flow results for various configurations with the Compare Mode.
Optimize your Design
Instantly determine how a design will react to fluid flow and simulate how gas, heat, air, and steam will move through pipes and nozzles. For engines and motors, the software reveals how fluids will react internally and externally.
Based on these tests—along with pressure and thermal simulations—you’ll be able to optimize your designs for the flow of any fluid.
SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation software takes the complexity out of flow analysis and enables engineers to easily simulate fluid flow, heat transfer, and fluid forces so engineers can investigate the impact of a liquid or gas flow on product performance.
"Javelin’s quick response time, sales and technical support are all very good. We implemented SOLIDWORKS in 1998 and to date, remain a satisfied customer"
Brad Toole, Engineering Manager
Breaker Technology Ltd.
"The time we save using SOLIDWORKS and doing our own 3D printing helps us validate designs quickly to meet demanding project deadlines"
Ron Ryan, Fabrication Group Manager
"SOLIDWORKS has definitely brought something different to the Solar Industry. Our U.S. counterparts use 2D, but they will be switching to 3D soon"
Chris White, Design & Technical Manager
“Javelin is an easily accessible reseller who is supportive, knowledgeable and professional. Keep up the Gold Standard level of service.”
Michael Fernando, Tool & Die Designer
Theta Industries Inc.
“SOLIDWORKS is now the de facto standard and Javelin is one of the best SOLIDWORKS resellers. How can you go wrong with a de facto standard on both the reseller and the software?”
John Leavitt, Owner
“Javelin staff and technical support are excellent. They are knowledgeable, helpful and thorough. Technical questions are always answered; either immediately or in a timely manner.”
Christa Carey, Technical Support Manager
“We rely heavily on our software to keep us profitable, and Javelin is always in the background keeping ProVantage running.”
Peter Graham, Engineering Manager
"Javelin does far more than sell software and 3D printers. They provide team support and resources, when there were technical challenges, Javelin stepped up and made it right."
Timm Williams, Partner
"Evolve Design Solutions appreciates the excellent customer service, product knowledge and technical support provided by Javelin, our SOLIDWORKS Value Added Reseller (VAR).”
Aldo Balatti, Principal
Evolve Design Solutions
“Javelin offers the complete package; good products, good service and value for what you need. They’re a great bunch of people who are always willing to help you out.”
Mark McCumber, Senior Designer
F-B Tool & Die Limited
"As far as Javelin goes, they’re really nice guys. Excellent technical support is provided by a consistent group of people. Reasonable, low pressure sales support is also appreciated."
Mike McGuire, President
"I’ve been a believer in SOLIDWORKS PDM since day one because it’s been effective since day one"
Ray Minato, President
Inertia Engineering + Design
"Javelin seems to make an extra effort to ensure that the software’s capabilities are being maximized to benefit the customer.”
Darryl Turrie, Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer
MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co. Limited
"Javelin employees are friendly, knowledgeable and quick to respond with effective solutions, and ZEC Wind Power is very pleased to be affiliated with this company."
Michelle El-Hage, Designer
ZEC Wind Power
SOLIDWORKS Services included
Improve your performance and productivity with Javelin services
With SOLIDWORKS Subscription Service, you have access to extensive help from our SOLIDWORKS experts. Which will enhance your software investment and guide you through development challenges.
- Live Technical Support from our certified support team.
- Remote Support to solve your technical issue right on your machine.
- Regular Communication of software updates and technical tips and tricks.
Upgrades & Resources
Enjoy the latest version of your software and direct access to a comprehensive library of drawings, parts, assemblies, and features contributed by users around the globe.
- Automatic Upgrades to the most Up-to-date Version of your SOLIDWORKS software.
- FREE access to the SOLIDWORKS Customer Portal for Macros, Documentation, and the ability to submit Enhancement Requests.
- Full access to the SOLIDWORKS Knowledge Base for Articles, Tech Tips, and Best Practices.
Online Training & Certification
A MySolidWorks online account is included with your subscription service where you can get answers, stay current, and sharpen your design skills with online training:
- MySolidWorks Standard Account includes 600+ online tutorial videos.
- FREE access to SOLIDWORKS testing and certification to help you become a Certified SOLIDWORKS Associate (CSWA) or Professional (CSWP).
Find out the Cost
Get Canadian pricing for SOLIDWORKS software