At Javelin we help Canadian Injection Molders and Toolmakers save time and money with the technology to design and create prototypes of molds before cutting metal using SOLIDWORKS 3D design software and Stratasys 3D printers. To provide a solution for the manufacturing stage of the process we have recently partnered with the manufacturing experts at MC Machinery Systems, based in Richmond Hill, ON., who provide manufacturers with the LUMEX Avance-25 metal laser sintering hybrid milling machine, a one machine / one process solution to rapid manufacture molds in a single setup.
With our new partnership we are now able to provide customers with a Complete Solution for the DESIGN > PROTOTYPE > MANUFACTURE of Injection Molds.
The Complete Injection Mold Design & Build Solution
Our complete solution provides manufacturers with the software and machines they need to go from design to manufactured metal mold. Learn more about each of the solutions below:
DESIGN with SOLIDWORKS software
SOLIDWORKS software gives anyone who designs or builds injection molds an accurate, easy-to-use way to design and optimize them. You can quickly create and analyze single-cavity, multi-cavity, and family mold layouts, including sprues, runners, and gates. You can even balance runner systems and estimate cycle time, clamp tonnage, and shot size, enabling you to optimize feed system design and avoid costly mold rework.
With SOLIDWORKS software manufacturers can:
- Avoid Costly Mold Rework as molds will work right the first time to avoid multiple rounds of time-consuming, costly, and unnecessary rework.
- Optimize Feed System Design: analyze sprues, runners, and gates to balance runner systems; optimize gate type, size, and location; determine the best runner layout, size, and cross-sectional shape.
- Estimate Cycle Time, Clamp Tonnage, and Shot Size: enables mold designers and mold makers to quote tooling projects quickly and accurately; assists manufacturing teams to size the injection molding machine for a given mold, optimize injection molding cycle time, and reduce plastics material scrap.
PROTOTYPE with a Stratasys 3D Printer
3D Printing has made it feasible to quickly create custom injection molds that produce low volumes of parts in the final production plastic. During product development, quick feedback is essential. But it’s hard to justify the cost to create injection molded prototypes when they require the same expensive, time-consuming tooling as production parts — even though you only need a small quantity of parts for testing.
3D printing your prototype molds in-house with a Stratasys 3D printer offers a fast, affordable way to produce injection molded prototypes. Designers and engineers can test their work more frequently and more accurately, and go to production with confidence. Product managers can shrink time to market and products can turn out better. With 3D printing your mold you can:
- Shorten production time by creating your injection mold quickly from 3D CAD files with a greatly reduced initial cost.
- Accurately test build your molds in Digital ABS at 30 micron layers, with accuracy as high as 0.1 mm.
- Cost effective design change as a new iteration of your prototype mold can be created within a few hours at minimal cost.
MANUFACTURE with a LUMEX Avance-25 machine
The LUMEX Avance-25 metal laser sintering hybrid milling machine is the only machine in the world which relies on one-machine, one-process manufacturing of complex molds and parts by fusing metal laser sintering (3D SLS) technology with high speed milling technology. The machine enables production of complicated parts through total manufacturing by digital engineering, using 3D data. The machine achieves the highest accuracy in part fabrication since metal powders are melted and sintered via laser, while surfaces are precisely milled at high speeds.
With a Lumex machine mold manufacturers are able to:
- Gain a significant reduction in manufacturing time with the combination of laser sintering and high speed milling.
- Gain a reduction in cost compared to traditional manufacturing processes.
- Manufacture better quality molds as the Lumex machine’s hybrid technology of sintering and milling does not leave a coarse surface finish when parts are produced by regular additive manufacturing machines.
Contact us to learn more about our complete solution