A common question we receive from customers with SOLIDWORKS Composer is:
“What are the recommended export options when saving a SOLIDWORKS file to the SOLIDWORKS Composer .SMG file format?”
Export .SMG file from SOLIDWORKS
The following SOLIDWORKS export options are available effective with the release of SOLIDWORKS 2018 SP0. To export a SOLIDWORKS Part or Assembly file to SOLIDWORKS Composer follow these steps:
- With your SOLIDWORKS model open, select File > Save As
- For ‘Save as type’, select SOLIDWORKS Composer (*.smg)
- Click the Options button to access the SMG export options
- Specify the options required for the exported file (note that you can set the defaults for this from Tools > Options > Export > SMG file format). The recommended options are specified in the screenshot below:
Opening an SMG file in SOLIDWORKS Composer
In general, the default options are recommended. However, a few scenarios require different options:
- To import surface bodies, select from the ‘Import Profile’ drop-down menu ‘SOLIDWORKS with Surface Parts’.
- To import hidden bodies, select the ‘Import hidden components (no show)’ option.
- To import a weldment part with the ability to move the cut list bodies independently, select the ‘Merge file into one actor per part’ option.
Learn more about SOLIDWORKS Composer
Attend a SOLIDWORKS Composer Essentials training course either live online or in a Canadian city near you.
Get Certified SOLIDWORKS Services from Javelin
Javelin Experts can help you to: