3DEXPERIENCE® DraftSight® is a new professional DWG-based 2D and 3D drafting offering from Dassault Systemes. Users can easily migrate from AutoCAD® to DraftSight with the familiar interfaces and workflows. But what is the difference between DraftSight and 3DEXPERIENCE DraftSight?
3DEXPERIENCE DraftSight provides time-saving productivity tools and APIs, based on the popular DraftSight desktop application enjoyed by millions of users. The platform addresses the popular needs for collaboration and management, especially for large-scale projects, check out the demo below to learn more:
Desktop 2D CAD Managed in the cloud
3DEXPERIENCE DraftSight specializes in handling DWG format drawings. It’s not an associative 2D drawing tool for 3D modeling roles such as 3D Creator or 3D Sculptor. It requires a local desktop installation from the 3DEXPERIENCE platform, it is not a browser-based drawing application. Essentially 3DEXPERIENCE DraftSight allows you to manage and share your DWG files with your team on the cloud. But the application runs on your desktop machine with a unique workflow:
- Integrated directly into DraftSight, the 3DEXPERIENCE Desktop Add-in allows you to access all of your information from the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform right from within DraftSight.
- This workflow allows you to combine the power of DraftSight to quickly create and edit your engineering drawings, with the collaborative features of the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform.
3DEXPERIENCE DraftSight is based on DraftSight Premium
3DEXPERIENCE DraftSight is based on the top tier DraftSight package, DraftSight Premium, which features 3D modeling capabilities and constraints to control entities parametrically, in addition to the features included with DraftSight Standard and Professional. You can find a comparison table on our website to see which features are included with DraftSight Premium.
- There is no functional difference between the desktop DraftSight Premium version and 3DEXPERIENCE DraftSight.
- 3DEXPERIENCE DraftSight is windows only and does not work on a mac.
- 3DEXPERIENCE DraftSight installs and licenses a thick client application on the desktop from the platform, it is a named user license rather than standalone or network license like regular DraftSight.
Can 3DEXPERIENCE DraftSight be installed along with other versions of DraftSight on the same computer?
No. DraftSight does not support multiple versions on the same computer. 3DEXPERIENCE DraftSight is based on DraftSight 2020 SP1 or later, so it cannot be installed on a computer with DraftSight 2020 or other releases.
What is the workflow with 3DEXPERIENCE DraftSight?
The workflow feels very similar to the familiar desktop DraftSight product. In addition, it provides cloud collaboration and management capabilities to answer multiple common business challenges.
- You can view, edit and print drawings.
- Search, open and save drawings on the platform via the integrated 3DEXPERIENCE task pane.
- Manage drawings with convenient data management tools such as Reserve/Unreserve, assign Maturity States or create New Revisions.
- Collaborate with others on the platform. For example, share data with easy controls over the digital access.
Store on the cloud
In conjunction with the Collaborative Business Innovator role you can secure data and product lifecycle management on a cloud-based platform
- Store all your drawings in a centralized, secure location and manage them from any device without any installation.
- Manage the lifecycle of DWG and DXF™ files, simulation models and documentation across disciplines and CAD applications.
- Track issues, changes and routes, and reduce conflicting edits with revision control.
Multi-discipline collaboration across your entire business ecosystem
Using the 3DEXPERIENCE platform connect to DraftSight for centralized team collaboration:
- Locate relevant drawings quickly by keywords, file formats, attributes and tags.
- Preview drawings. Zoom, pan and mark up drawings with multi-touch gestures directly in the browser.
- Create dashboards for personalized views into information from all sources and set alerts for data feeds.
- Share unstructured and structured content through activity streams, chat, video and user-tagged comments.
Get a FREE Trial or Purchase DraftSight software
Buy now from the DS website: