I was recently asked by an IT professional, what they should be doing prior to executing a move or an update of the WPDM vault.
(Tips on actually moving your Workgroup Vault may be found at http://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2012/09/moving-wpdm-vault-to-new-server)
- If possible have all users attached to the vault check in any files they currently have checked out, this will ensure that everyone’s data remains secure during the move and prepares you for the next step in our list.
- This second tip is not to be taken lightly, it is a fundamental step to ensuring your data remains safe and secure…………BACKUP YOUR WORKGROUP PDM VAULT DATA! – Which essentially means copying your Vault Data folder to a safe location, or a remote Drive. (Default location C:\VaultData)
- Ensure all users log out of the vault prior to the update.
- The vault should be locked using the option within the Vault Settings tab of the VaultAdmin tool. This will prevent users from logging in during the update.
- While you have the vault admin tool open head over and double-check that the “Validate Vault” setting under the Vault Settings Tab is checked.
These few tips should go a long way toward the security of your Workgroup PDM vault during a move or an update
Get Certified SOLIDWORKS Services from Javelin
Javelin Experts can help you to: