The process of achieving SOLIDWORKS certifications is accessible and easy to complete with the right amount of preparation and proper use of available resources. Certifications are used to confirm your knowledge of various aspects of SOLIDWORKS software and of course your ability to work with software in an effective manner. I underwent this process in order to complete the SOLIDWORKS sustainable design online exam to become a Certified SOLIDWORKS Sustainable Design Associate (CSDA).
The CSDA is based off the SOLIDWORKS Sustainable Design Guide that incorporates concepts including sustainability, environmental assessment and life cycle impact assessment. I am familiar with a few of these concepts as I graduated with an environmental degree from university. Sustainable design is an important aspect in today’s world and especially in regards to product design. Optimizing or redesigning a product following proper sustainability assessments can significantly change the lifetime environmental impact of a product. In addition, managing trade-offs associated with the design of a product is essential for sustainability.
You can download the Dassault SolidWorks Guide to Sustainable Design here.
After reviewing the guide and re-reading my university notes, I decided I was ready to take the exam. I was provided a CSDA certification exam code and I downloaded the software. The testing software is only available on Windows.
In order to pass the CSDA you need 80% from the one-hour online test. I started with some slight nervousness but worked my way through the exam and ended up with a passing grade. Whew.
Steps for Getting Certified
There are a few simple steps in the certification process. All certification testing is done online.
- Study for a particular topic area for the exam that you are taking. With some exams you may want to take an official training course and spend some time with the software so you know your stuff
- Visit the SOLIDWORKS web store or contact your local Value Added Reseller (VAR), like Javelin, to purchase your exam code Note: Some exams are free with your SolidWorks Subscription service
- Log into your SOLIDWORKS account and access the exam via ‘Certifications”
- Download the necessary exam software
- Grab a cup of coffee and make sure you are not bothered for the next hour or so
- Once you have passed, access your account via the SOLIDWORKS Certification Center and print your certificate.
There are many different certifications available that are of varying lengths and of different specializations. Once you have passed an exam, you will receive an online certificate. Additionally, if you take and pass the CSWP exam you will receive discounts for some partner products and SolidWorks world events as well as your name entered into an online directory.
Other SOLIDWORKS Certifications
Here is a list of all the SolidWorks certifications. Go for it. It feels great when you pass and receive that certificate.
- Certified SOLIDWORKS Associate (CSWA)
- Certified SOLIDWORKS Associate Academic (CSWA – Academic)
- Certified SOLIDWORKS Professional (CSWP)
- Certified SOLIDWORKS Expert (CSWE)
- Certified Enterprise PDM Administrator (CEPA)
- Certified Sustainable Design Associate (CSDA)
- Certified SOLIDWORKS Associate Simulation (CSWA-S)
- Certified SOLIDWORKS Professional Advanced Sheet Metal (CSWPA-SM)
- Certified SOLIDWORKS Professional Advanced Weldments (CSWPA-WD)
- Certified SOLIDWORKS Professional Advanced Surfacing (CSWPA-SU)
- Certified SOLIDWORKS Professional Advanced Mold Tools (CSWPA-MT)
- Certified SOLIDWORKS Professional Advanced Drawing Tools (CSWPA-DT)
- Certified SOLIDWORKS Professional Simulation (CSWP-S)
How to take a Certification Exam
Learn more about taking an exam here: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/mcad-certification-programs.htm and for the month of March you can take a Certified SOLIDWORKS Associate Training Course and Exam for Free with MySolidWorks!