SOLIDWORKS Simulation 2017 Mass Properties of Simulation Studies
With SOLIDWORKS Simulation 2017 you now have the ability to calculate the Mass Properties of your Simulation studies. This is useful as the SOLIDWORKS Simulation Mass Properties in each study may be different than the overall model due to different materials, excluded components, defined shell thicknesses, etc.
Included in SOLIDWORKS Simulation Mass Properties
The following items are included in the Mass Properties calculations within a Simulation study:
- Solids, beams, and sheet metal bodies with materials assigned in the study
- Surface bodies and solids defined as shells, provided shell thicknesses and materials are assigned in the study (mass is based on the shell thickness definition)
- Composite shells with materials assigned
- Remote Load/Mass feature set to ‘Load/Mass (Rigid Connection)’ and a Mass value assigned
- Mass assigned to bolt and pin connectors
How to access SOLIDWORKS Simulation Mass Properties
To access the Mass Properties in your Simulation study, right-click on the study name at the top of the Simulation tree and choose ‘Mass Properties’.
This will provide a similar interface as the standard model Mass Properties, providing the properties:
- Surface Area
- Center of Mass
- Moment of Inertia
You can remove specific components from the mass calculation by deselecting their ‘X’ boxes in the first column.
Including Pin and Bolt connectors
In order for pin and bolt connectors to be included, you must enable the option to ‘Include mass’ in the connector definition and provide its weight.
Pin and bolt connectors are now included in the mass properties dialog and results as shown below:
SOLIDWORKS 2017 Resources
Access our resources page to get everything you need to learn what’s new in SOLIDWORKS 2017, including tech tips, demonstrations, and upcoming product webinars.
Get Certified SOLIDWORKS Services from Javelin
Javelin Experts can help you to: