You are likely spending most of your time working from home now due to COVID-19 and this gives you the opportunity to develop your SOLIDWORKS skills with online training. If you want to learn online then you have a couple of choices, your choice will depend on your learning style i.e. do you learn well on your own from recorded material, or prefer guidance from a live instructor:
- MySolidWorks Video Based Training, which provides introductory training and a source of reference for SOLIDWORKS.
- Javelin Online LIVE Training (JOLT), which delivers a comprehensive instructor led training experience live over the web. This is a good alternative to classroom-based training, especially as there is no access to classroom training right now!
Disadvantages of Video Based Training
MySolidWorks Video based training is convenient however there are many disadvantages to this style of online learning when compared to live online training delivered by an instructor, here are just a few disadvantages:
- Not as comprehensive — watching a video is quick and easy but for a full training course a learner needs to view a lot of videos. What this means is learners often skip ahead with video based learning to speed up the process and typically miss out on important content, or suffer from video fatigue and retention of the material drops significantly over time.
- Not as effective — with no live instructor available to show you specific techniques and answer your questions it can be less effective. Plus Instructors are not as effective when they are recording training content without a live audience.
- Not as motivational — video based training has less engagement and learners typically tend to get distracted. Also without a live instructor you are not driven to complete exercises and there is no reward for completion.
- Requires more discipline — videos offer one way communication, this means that learners need to be dedicated to watching and listening without obtaining any feedback.
- Not as enjoyable for the learner — interaction and delivery from a live instructor is a much more enjoyable experience for everyone involved, rather than the static delivery of prerecorded content. One of the most effective methods of learning is through the interaction between a learner and an instructor.
Instructor led Training at home
Our customers need more in-depth SOLIDWORKS online training that still provides the convenience of learning online, without the requirement of being in a classroom. This is how the idea for Javelin Online Live Training was formed ⇒ to give customers the benefits of classroom training in an online format.
Watch the video below to learn about online live training from our training manager, and hear what our customers have to say about their learning experience:
A Better Learning Experience
Javelin Online Live Training or JOLT for short is our method of delivering classroom based training directly to your desktop. We know that your time is valuable and attending a training facility to take training is not possible right now. So for just a few hours a day you can take LIVE SOLIDWORKS training over the web, giving you the benefits of classroom training with the convenience of online training, whilst overcoming the disadvantages of video based training.
JOLT is delivered on a live interactive learning environment where you can ask questions, receive immediate answers from the instructor, and learn hands-on with SOLIDWORKS exercise files featured in the course. You receive a training manual and a headset before the course starts so you can follow along with the training and interact with the instructor.
I am in the process of taking an online surfacing course and like the ability to do that rather than travel to Javelin to take the course, additionally it will make it easier in the future to take additional training in this fashion.
— Randy Sutherland, MacGregors Group
Benefits of Online Live Training
Here are just a few of the benefits that online LIVE training provides for our customers:
- Training that reduces work day disruption — It’s convenient and allows for little disruption to your working day. Most online courses are split up into 4 hours per day.
- Live instruction from certified trainers — Certified SOLIDWORKS Experts are able to pass on their experience and provide best practices and tips during line online courses.
- Live access to the Instructor — Get help by virtually raising your hand via the online training system, and privately chat with the instructor just like classroom based training.
- Hands-on practical training — You get plenty of time to try out the exercises and learn by using your SOLIDWORKS software.
- Receive a certificate when training is complete — Just like our classroom based training courses you will receive a certificate when you have completed a course.
There is a wide variety of training courses available live over the web, including:
SOLIDWORKS CAD Training
Our SOLIDWORKS courses allow you to develop your skills with process based training. Start with the SOLIDWORKS Essentials course and move on to Part Modeling, Surfacing, and Advanced Assemblies, creating Drawings, and Animation. You can also take application specific courses including Sheet Metal, Weldments, and Routing courses. All the courses are hands-on and will allow you to learn how to use SolidWorks by carrying out common tasks.
SOLIDWORKS Simulation Training
We take the complexity out of learning how to apply SolidWorks Simulation to the design process. You will learn how to become more productive through comprehensive hands-on training. Courses cover the different modules available with simulation including SOLIDWORKS Simulation Professional, SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation,SOLIDWORKS Simulation Dynamics, SOLIDWORKS Simulation Nonlinear and SOLIDWORKS Motion. Training is delivered by certified instructors with years of real world FEA and CFD design experience.
SOLIDWORKS Electrical Training
Learn how to use the intelligent system design tools available with SOLIDWORKS Electrical 2D and SOLIDWORKS Electrical 3D, including a comprehensive parts database, and real-time integration of your 2D schematics and 3D models. Courses are delivered by SolidWorks Electrical specialists with real life electrical experience.
Designed to help understand and interpret the fundamentals of GD&T. It is based on the ASME Y14.5 – 2009 standard. Formally the ASME Y14.5M – 1994 standard. Our fundamentals course is a valuable tool for any individual who has to create or interpret engineering drawings; for product and gauge designers; CMM operators and quality assurance personnel.
Live Online Training FAQs
Here are a few answers to frequently asked questions about our live SOLIDWORKS training:
At what time of day is the online training?
SOLIDWORKS online training is convenient and allows for little disruption to your working day. Online courses are often 3 hours per day from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM (ET). Online Essentials courses are 4 hours per day from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM (ET) with a 1 hour lunch break at 12:00 PM.
Will I receive a certificate after completing a course?
Yes like our classroom training you will receive a certificate when the course has been completed.
Will I receive a training manual?
Yes, a SOLIDWORKS training manual is provided for applicable courses.
Do I need a license of SOLIDWORKS to take the training?
Yes, in order to carry out the exercise portion of the training you will need to have SOLIDWORKS available on your machine. We may be able to provide you with a free temporary license to take the training if you do not have one available. And short term licenses can be purchased if required.
Are the training sessions recorded?
No, the training sessions are live and are not recorded.
Can multiple people sit in on the same machine for training?
No, SOLIDWORKS Online Training is designed specifically for individuals who will need to log in and interact with the trainer whilst taking the training.
Get Started with Live SOLIDWORKS Online Training
If you are interested in taking a Javelin Online Live Training course for SOLIDWORKS then please review our online schedule.