Javelin, your trusted partner in all things 3D, from SOLIDWORKS CAD to Additive Manufacturing, Product Data Management (PDM) and Process Assessments, now provides DELMIA | Works, a comprehensive ERP and MES solution. Allowing you to leverage data across your enterprise.
In this article and related video we focus on the following topics:
- A reliable ERP system
- A complete business system
- Modules and components
- Role Based System
- Meet Industry Quality Standards
- Inventory Management
- Quality Management
- Warehouse Management
- Lower your costs with a Single Platform
Where do you get your business facts?
Facts are the foundation of informed business decisions, enabling better business outcomes.
- Do you rely on an ad hoc home-grown spreadsheet to gather these facts?
- Do you have a mixture of ERP data, disconnected spreadsheets, and disparate whiteboards to assist in important decisions?
- Is there also a level of data from employees? A mixture of current observed data and tribal knowledge?
- Do these outdated systems instill confidence with your customers?
This is where DELMIA | Works is used in industry, especially the automotive industry, to provide the business facts that you need.
As of January 2019, IQMS became DELMIA | Works, joining the global manufacturing Dassault Systems brand with its portfolio of innovative solutions. IQMS has been a leader in ERP and MES manufacturing software for over 32 years, and now carries on under the Dassault Systems parent company to integrate with the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform.
Connected with SOLIDWORKS
Leveraging the capabilities of SOLIDWORKS CAD & PDM platforms, the DELMIA | Works to SOLIDWORKS interface module simplifies ERP BOM entry. Turning SOLIDWORKS Bill of Materials into the more useful Bill of Manufacture. Ensuring that the plant floor processes accompany the CAD Bill of Material. Now the shop has all the details to produce the physical items that the engineers and designers created in the CAD models and drawings. Effectively joining the front office to the back office and plant floor.
A reliable ERP system
DELMIA | Works provides manufacturers with a reliable ERP system for planning, scheduling, executing, and measuring results. This is accomplished with Forecasting, MRP, Production Scheduling, Quality, MRO, and real time Production Monitoring modules.
Let us not forget the all-important product quality processes and the ability to react quickly to customer needs are the catalysts driving the fastest growing companies today.
Being able to consistently excel at meeting customer requirements daily while staying flexible enough to provide you with a manufacturing platform that can grow with you as your business evolves.
DELMIA | Works is designed to get you up and running fast, in 90 days or less, giving you greater visibility and control over your manufacturing operations.
A complete business system
An ERP system should offer a quote to payment process system. It should provide complete CRM, Sales and Distribution modules which allow immediate response to customer inquiries, order status, history, and tracking.
- Requests, such as advanced shipping notices and multiple shipping destinations should be easily addressed.
- Part number cross references, commissions, and commodities are readily obtainable, and information need to be always available.
- You also need a complete manufacturing and shop floor planning system with all the tools necessary to manage production across one facility or multiple plants. That means users can make instant decisions based on the total production picture. Meanwhile optimized scheduling identifies the best start time for each job and any constraints that may affect delivery.
- And since cash is king, you require financial management that is easy and flexible by providing seamless access to data from sales, distribution, and manufacturing. With Intuitive drill down capabilities allow quick and accurate data analysis. Additionally, the comprehensive accounting and general office management system needs to conform to all generally accepted accounting principles and support multiple companies, profit centers, and currencies.
Meeting your manufacturing needs
Because an ERP system becomes the backbone of your company, it needs to meet all your unique manufacturing requirements, including unlimited unit-of-measure conversion, production by length or weight, waste material, family tools, dispatch lists and more. It needs to be easy to mix and match industry types to best suit your environment.
Tired of waiting until the end of a shift to understand what is happening on the shop floor? Great decisions are made with great data, real-time monitoring allows the entire company to be connected to the shop floor. Business intelligence dashboards give you a view of what is happening on each machine on your floor, all updated in real-time.
DELMIA | Works is committed to maximizing manufacturing success by delivering a comprehensive ERP system built specifically for manufacturers and backed by extensive support and educational services, which have earned us recognition in several industry reports and numerous business awards.
Modules and components
We can improve efficiencies with a single source solution. Remember, all the modules and components of DELMIA | Works were written by DELMIA | Works.
Not only can we speed up your productivity, but DELMIA | Works also reduces implementation time. There is only one database, so all the data is easily accessible by the modules. There are no complicated interfaces and data transfers like some of the other ERP offerings.
And of course, the ERP section also has optional modules to add increased functionality. Naturally sharing the same single database as all the modules do within DELMIA | Works.
One Database, one set of code. Zero customizations to ensure future upgrades are painless and not cost-prohibitive. This keeps your ERP system current without fear of being locked out of changes due to custom code.
Often, some more advanced customers require very specific functionality for their finance departments.
There are also optional finance modules that are available as add-ons where there is a need for specific functionality.
Again, using a single database and codebase, giving the ability to drill-down into the sub layers of data. This provides the ability to “Jump To” various modules that where the source of data for a transaction.
- Do you want to see the production costs for an item? What if you have a PO, but would like to see the direct labour and direct material that was the source of the costing on an order? With the proper granular security settings, you can traverse the order from start to finish.
- Do you want to see the packing slips that made up a shipment? When did product finish, when did packing take place, what weigh bill did it leave your dock on? It is all tied together with a single database.
Role Based System
DELMIA | Works is Role based. Meaning the employees that require access to various functions do so by granular security settings. This gives very specific control to which modules are accessible and what fields they can see and what fields they are allowed to influence. Such as read-only, read-and-write, hidden.
- Owner/CEO – looking at a high level at how we deliver profitability to support growth for the business.
- Finance – seeking to support the CEO with their vision by understanding the true costs of production, predicted costs vs. actual costs and managing cash flow.
- Sales – this team is looking to successfully manage orders and deliver quality products on time (every time).
- Engineering – are using an ERP to be able to transfer design into final product, and be able to track and manage the production throughout the process (i.e. production scheduling, production monitoring, quality management).
- Inventory – their perspective is focused on managing the raw materials (i.e. sufficient plastics/steel etc. to manufacture the product) and finished goods inventories (have we got enough finished products on hand to fulfill the sales orders)”
DELMIA | Works offers a powerful automotive ERP and Manufacturing Software Solution tailored to meet the unique challenges of your industry.
To manage increasing customer demands in the automotive manufacturing environment, with always evolving industry standards and strict compliance requirements, the global automotive supplier Tiers turn to DELMIA | Works for industry-specific ERP functionality to increase their competitive advantage and remain lean.
Meet Industry Quality Standards
With DELMIA | Works automotive ERP software, you can stop struggling to meet the stringent quality standards your automotive industry requires with features such as:
- Specific tools for supporting ISO 9001 and TS16949 standards, and that meet Materials Management Operations Guideline/Logistics (MMOG/LE)
- Fully automated EDI processing, including industry specific EDI tool sets that meet Honda and Toyota specifications, eliminating time and effort on your part to configure and test the functionality.
- Modules like Advanced Warehouse Management System (WMS) and detailed labeling capabilities with barcodes ensure compliance to the required customer requirements.
- The Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) module allows management of both customer product related items such as tooling and new product releases, but also and your internal manufacturing programs, such as new machinery or their required upgrades.
- Modules for functions such as Automatic VIN generators, to ensure compliance to these very specific functions.
All the functions are connected in real-time to the core ERP functionality, ensuring the Manufacturing Execution Systems are sharing bi-reaction data in real time.
DELMIA | Works can reduce Inventory Costs and Improve Tracking and Traceability from the Manufacturing Floor to the Warehouse.
Inventory control may be the single most important factor in improving shop floor efficiency, part, and materials accuracy and ultimately, your bottom line.
From tracking inventory and outsourced parts throughout the manufacturing process, to reducing physical inventory time and forecasting necessary materials to meet demands, the Manufacturing Inventory Software modules from DELMIA | Works helps you solve every supply chain challenge.
The inventory software is built on facilitating lean manufacturing management principles with functions such as:
- Separate inventory master records for each manufacturing location.
- Both eKanban and conventional Kanban control support
- Complete lot number tracking and traceability including supporting documents should you require that level of functionality.
- Serialized inventory control coupled with barcode printing and scanning allows for ultimate in control on the shop floor.
Advanced manufacturing inventory management tools within the DELMIA | Works ERP software system provides all the functionality to store, track and fulfill orders based on real-time inventory information from manufacturing thru to the warehouse, including outsourced vendor locations.
Through these manufacturing inventory software tools, tracking, managing, and controlling inventory and associated costs has never been easier or more efficient:
- The Warehouse Management System (WMS) allows for inventory movements and adjustments from anywhere on the plant floor through mobile or other hand-held scanning devices.
- Vendor Managed Inventory (VMI) capabilities support the ability to manage consignment inventory stored at customer or vendor sites.
- Intercompany Transactions allow multi-plant companies to achieve unified scheduling and distribution across all facilities.
- Outsource Inventory Management has all the tools needed to plan, manage, ship and track the status of products partial or completely produced at outsource vendor locations. Detailed transaction log provides a complete history/genealogy of transactions against any single item that remains with the item until the file is purged.
- “Where Used Analysis” quickly finds where an item is utilized by either manufacturing configurations or as a component in a blend.
- Maintain standard costs based on cost elements with complete roll up through work in process and finished goods.
Of course DELMIA | Works supports non-conforming, non-allocate and default inventory locations, with complete tracking and maintaining historical, current, and future costs:
- Unlimited price breaks let you set volume discounts for finished goods via the selling price and raw material costs for those purchased acquisitions.
- eKanban ensures the min/max inventory system compliments sales, work orders and scheduling to ensure no item is ever missing or short.
- Mass part number substitutions as well as immediate or scheduled pricing updates are all within your control.
- Shelf-life management tracks expirations and automatically identifies non-conforming inventory with email alert notifications.
- Blend and formula technology allows you to maintain items that are made up of two or more materials or ingredients. Including colour change sequencing to ensure minimal waste of materials if your manufacturing process requires.
- Class-based inventory, such as finished goods, raw material, packaging, etc., provides for ‘class-specific’ information, such as vendor specific information or manufacturing data.
- Unlimited unit of measure associated with purchasing, production, sales or stocking for review or automatic conversion.
- And with unlimited locations per inventory item, the flexibility you require is at your fingertips!
Inventory control may be the single most important factor in improving shop floor efficiency, part and materials accuracy and ultimately, your bottom line.
From tracking inventory and outsourced parts throughout the manufacturing process, to reducing physical inventory time and forecasting necessary materials to meet demands, the Manufacturing Inventory Software modules of DELMIA | Works helps you solve every supply chain challenge.”
The DELMIA | Works Quality Management System (QMS) is a powerful solution that enables streamlined operations and a reduced cost of quality. From APQP to Gage R&R to SPC, your automotive quality requirements are completely covered and fully traceable for peace of mind.
Automotive ERP software solutions require comprehensive support for lean manufacturing initiatives!
We provide those with features such as:
- Serialized label generation
- Release control management
- Complete audit trails
- Both eKanban and conventional Kanban control support
- Heijunka scheduling
- Sequence management
- Multidimensional sales forecasting and planning
- Preventative/predictive maintenance tracking
As a long-standing AIAG member, DELMIA | Works has extensive knowledge of automotive standards.
Staying abreast of industry needs drives the constant enhancement of our leading-edge software for a performance solution that delivers real tangible results.
Automotive industry applications
Meeting the increasing demands of the automotive industry, while remaining competitive in the global marketplace, has never been easier with DELMIA | Works.
DELMIA | Works can assist any tier level manufacturer in the quest to reduce costs, increase efficiency and deliver on-time results:
- Using ISO/IATF conformance tools such as ISO 9001 and TS16949 Standards.
- Meeting the Materials Management standard guidelines MMOG/LE, including Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Electronic Data Interchange (EDI), Material Management Operations Guideline/Logistics Evaluation (MMOG/LW)
Providing the four core pillars for Automotive Suppliers
The use of DELMIA | Works ERP ensures the four core pillars for automotive supplier success are met:
- Sales & Business Development
- Human Resources
Sales & Business Development
Eliminating manual process and redundancy are key factors in driving down Automate Supplier internal costs. Without the ability to keep these costs in control and minimized, the end product as delivered must have all sources of cost trimmed to a minimum.
Both the direct and indirect costs. Simply reducing plant floor costs is not enough today. If your competition can reduce front office costs, they may surpass you with a lower cost to market.
Even a faster time to market. Beating you out of the gate may remove any advantages you have in other areas!
Improving quality and reducing operation costs are key to producing automotive products that get the OEM’s attention during the bidding process. Over the course of your production runs, the OEM expects continuous reductions in price. Both Raw material (DM) and Labour (DL) have defined priced reductions schemes set by you customer. DELMIA | Works ERP and MES tool sets have been created and enhanced through years of development with automotive vendors.
Creating useful features and modules so you do not have to invest time and effort for custom solutions that just take too long to perfect and, make upgrades the nightmare that causes most companies to put-off upgrading. Sometimes resulting in ERP software that is years out-of-date. Then missing out on meaningful patches, updates and added features.
Doesn’t it seem much more logical and efficient to use the Automotive tool sets created by the software vendor who wrote the original applications and modules, using the single database, to create upgradable Automotive focused ERP, MES and QMS features?
The Human Resources portion of your business is a key area to not only improve data access, but also to provide real-time information availability and provide answers to common HR questions and issues:
- Do you have access to a list of trained and certified employees that are available to run a specific process?
- Are employee certifications up to the standards required? Have their certifications expired?
- Does a new employee require additional mentoring to execute a specialized or controlled task?
- Do you have the resources available to mentor them to ensure there are no issues and you can hit the required production rate?
DELMIA | Works can push the required training videos out to the employee, monitor testing with a pass / fail component and communicate that to both HR and the employee’s direct supervisor. All of that with zero spreadsheets, countless emails, etc.
Quality is a large and encompassing area of the automotive business which includes Document Control, Workflows PPAP, FEMA, Control Plans, Returned Goods, Non-conforming Materials, Rework & Corrective Actions Gauge & Device Management, Inspection & SPC, Quality Audits
All of the above requires a complex chain of process, data collection, communication and the links to make it all come-together as one homogeneous pillar.
What does it take to deliver zero defective ppm and 100% on time delivery to every customer, every time? It takes effective compliance with the four pillars of automotive success.
DELMIA | Works Warehouse Management Software System (WMS) provides the features automotive suppliers need:
- Products staged and stored according to movement velocity
- Dynamic real-time scheduling of picking, putaway, order staging, dock and container management and more
- Complete ERP system integration, embedded EDI, accounting, sales orders, MRP and shipping management – no messy non-real-time interfaces
- Multiple picking techniques supported – configurable interleaving, WAVE picking, and planning, rules-based directed picking including FIFO, FEFO, LIFO
- Package and inventory type and configuration putaway rules – kitting, purchased, manufactured, cases, pallets, etc.
- Slotting storage locations based on actual usage history so fast-moving products are more easily accessible
- “Milk run” planning
- Shelf-life management – tracks expirations and automatically identifies non-conforming inventory
- Industry-standard barcodes including 2D symbology
- Mobile solution – use your handheld scanners, tablets, and smartphones to execute transactions and track activity
Inventory handling is expensive. Minimize handling costs, maximize warehouse efficiency, and gain customers for life. DELMIA | Works Warehouse Management System helps in these key areas:
- Increases order fulfillment speed and accuracy
- Eliminates shipping and receiving handling errors
- Decreases costs associated with under-utilized inventory resources
- Improves inventory visibility and traceability
- Optimizes movement of both raw materials, WIP and finished goods
- Reduces “dead-head” time in the warehouse
Whether your customers are demanding advanced product storage and delivery solutions, or your facility is looking for better ways to optimize inventory and warehouse activities, DELMIA | Works provides the right cost-effective WMS software for your business. From basic product picking and inventory movement tracking to advanced Tier One features such as rules-based pick and putaway, work order staging, wave planning, palletizing, and more.
The new Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), or the USMCA if you are south of the Canadian Border, is supported within the DELMIA | Works Reporting Modules. This ensures Automotive manufacturers are fully compliant with the trade agreement.
The overarching differentiator for DELMIA | Works is the unique combination of factory floor process control and monitoring coupled with ERP functionality. Most systems are either ERP or MES; with DELMIA | Works, these systems are integrated as one native solution. This integration provides a true, real-time vision and record of the shop floor.
Lower your costs with a single platform
With DELMIA | Works, there is one database and one application to administer, and for users, a single, intuitive interface. It is easier for the users and eliminates data synchronization issues.
The real-time process monitoring of the MES built into the ERP empowers decision-makers to see what is going on the shop floor in real time, and provides an artifact trail for traceability.
By capturing critical information from machines, tools, and other instruments, while production is ongoing, as parts are being produced, you can be confident that your production and quality plans are being executed well.
Contact us to learn more
Upcoming Related Event
Become a SOLIDWORKS Expert by watching a LIVE Broadcast in October to learn What's New in SOLIDWORKS 2022, plus learn about 3D Scanning, and Additive Manufacturing.