As you create your exploded views, take a look at the SOLIDWORKS Exploded View Options available. They may speed up the time it takes to generate your exploded model. Here are a few tips to help you on your way, along with a video demonstration.
- Explode Direction: If the reference triad is not in the correct orientation, you can specify the direction to explode by selecting an edge or face of the model. Another shortcut is to hold Alt, then drag and drop the blue sphere at the triad origin onto a face or edge.
- Auto-Space Components after Drag: This option allows you to easily explode multiple components at the same time along a direction. The slider bar gives you control of the spacing between the components. If some of the component spacing needs adjusting, just double-click on the component or the Step and drag the blue arrow. You can also drag the blue arrows to reorder the chain of components. Just drag and drop a component in between other components in the chain on the graphics window.
- Select Sub-Assembly Parts: When this is unchecked, the entire subassembly will be selected and moved. You can enable this option to move individual components from within the subassembly.
- Reuse Subassembly Explode: If you have already setup an exploded view in your subassemblies, there is no need to duplicate your work. Just select the subassembly and click the Reuse button to copy in the exploded steps.
- Editing steps: You can edit the order of steps by dragging them up and down in the list. To edit the spacing, double-click a component in the graphics view or the Step feature in the PropertyManager and the blue arrows and properties will be available. Click Apply and Done to save.
Watch the SOLIDWORKS Exploded View Options video below: