The SOLIDWORKS Auto Arrange Dimensions tool seems to read your mind when choosing the right positions for placing selected dimensions. Finally you can use the model dimensions to detail your drawing, without having to waste your time manually dragging them one by one into the correct position.
Using Auto Arrange
1. After inserting views into your drawing use the Import Model Items annotation tool and choose Entire Model
2. When the dimensions are inserted they are being placed according to their position in the model, which might not be the ideal position for communicating the sizes in your drawing.
3. Let’s select all these dimensions with a window select (feel free to use the F5 shortcut key to access the dimension filter):
4. Once the dimensions are selected make sure you do not move your mouse too far. There is an icon not too far from your cursor.
Let’s look at it closely:
NOTE: If by any chance you moved your mouse and the icon disappeared, don’t worry, it can be called back by pressing the <CTRL> key on your keyboard. It will re-appear close to your cursor.
5. Now let’s select this Icon. It will expand into a mini toolbar:
6. There are all kind of nice little icons on this toolbar and I suggest you take the time to play with all of them, but for now we will select the Auto Arrange Dimensions icon.
7. Magic! One click and most of my dimensions moved nicely into positions that make sense. Is the SOLIDWORKS Auto Arrange Dimensions tool reading my mind?
What if this drawing had 15 views and hundreds of dimensions? How much time would have I saved then? How much time will you save from now on with the SOLIDWORKS Auto Arrange Dimensions tool?
Certified SOLIDWORKS Services available from Javelin
Javelin can help you to: