The SolidNetWork License Manager runs on FlexNet technology and there is a PDF guide included in the installation with additional details on how you can further control the license usage. Through the use of an Options file in the License Manager, you can control timeout periods, restrict user access, set the number of available borrowed licenses and more.
You can find the FlexNet PDF guide on the server with the installed License Manager. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SolidNetwork License Manager\Docs\flexuser. Within the ‘licensingenduserguide.PDF’, view the section ’13. Managing the Options File’. There is a table with all of the available Options File Syntax.
More useful keywords
However the PDF guide above shows more keywords for the SolidNetWork License Manager Options File that could be used. Here are a few that may be of interest:
- set a specific number of licenses that cannot be borrowed so they are only available when connected to the network
- i.e. “BORROW_LOWWATER SOLIDWORKS 2” will always keep 2 licenses on the server that cannot be borrowed
- NOTE: this does not update the Free license count in the borrow tab, so it will fail to borrow a license even if the borrow tab shows 2 free licenses
- INCLUDE_BORROW or EXCLUDE_BORROW
- specific users who can and cannot borrow a license
- the default maximum time that a license can be borrowed is 30 days
- while you cannot make it more than 30 days, the MAX_BORROW_HOURS allows you to shorten the time allowed to borrow
- EXCLUDE or INCLUDE
- specific users who can or cannot access specific features (i.e. Simulation)
- extends the amount of time a license is held on a computer after closing SOLIDWORKS so they will still have the license for the next session
- NOTE: be careful as this will tie up licenses for an extended period of time after a user is done with it