Dassault Systèmes has recently released 3DEXPERIENCE Works PDM which is a new cloud-based data management solution for SOLIDWORKS customers. There are now two distinct data management solutions to choose from that will manage your SOLIDWORKS data: SOLIDWORKS PDM/Manage and 3DEXPERIENCE Works PDM.
The main difference between the two DS solutions is SOLIDWORKS PDM/Manage is an on-premise highly configurable solution whereas 3DEXPERIENCE Works PDM is a turnkey cloud-based solution.
Here is a quick comparison of the two solutions to help you decide which DS solution is right for your business:
On-premise Solution: SOLIDWORKS PDM/Manage
The existing SOLIDWORKS PDM and SOLIDWORKS Manage solutions are a good choice for businesses that want to manage their own data. SOLIDWORKS PDM provides an easy way for your team to work on product designs without worrying about version control or losing model files. Simply store CAD models and any supporting electronic documents in an indexed central repository that tracks versions and automates workflows to eliminate time spent searching and duplication of efforts.
SOLIDWORKS Manage is an upgrade to SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional providing customers with a set of advanced data management tools. SOLIDWORKS Manage builds upon the file management capabilities and ease of use of SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional while adding powerful project, process, and item management capabilities. Critical product development decisions are simplified with interactive dashboards and reports that help track project progress, resource allocation and quality performance.
- The ability to manage your own infrastructure with internal IT staff.
- The system can be designed around your specific company processes.
- Provide a high degree of configurability and customization.
- SOLDWORKS Manage includes project, process, and item management capabilities.
- Need to purchase server hardware and a location to store your data.
- Need an IT staff to maintain and manage the system.
- Need to upgrade the system when new versions of SOLIDWORKS are released.
- There is web access for users but the system is not a true cloud-based solution.
Cloud-based Solution: 3DEXPERIENCE Works PDM
3DEXPERIENCE Works PDM delivers design, engineering and business services on the cloud. 3DEXPERIENCE Works PDM runs on the 3DEXPERIENCE platform and offers flexibility, capability and scalability with its wide portfolio of solutions and apps. It enables businesses of any size to seamlessly manage all stages of product development – plan, develop, and release – on the cloud with reduced infrastructure costs and less IT overhead. 3DEXPERIENCE Works PDM solutions provide digital continuity and empower team members to collaborate from anywhere, at any time and on any device.
- 3DEXPERIENCE Works PDM is a turnkey solution that allows companies to quickly start using an advanced PDM system.
- No need to purchase hardware or install software.
- No dependency on IT staff for system maintenance and upgrade.
- Includes basic lifecycle management, BOM management, project management, and change management.
- Able to be used with just a web browser.
- Not as configurable as SOLIDWORKS PDM/Manage
- Less functions and capabilities compared to SOLIDWORKS PDM/Manage
- Limited to best practices governed by 3DEXPERIENCE Works PDM.
If you are just starting out with PDM and want a turnkey cloud-based system that is easy to configure and implement then 3DEXPERIENCE Works PDM is the best choice for you.
If your business wants a more configurable system that you want to manage completely by yourselves then we would recommend a SOLIDWORKS PDM/Manage solution.
Discover SOLIDWORKS & 3DEXPERIENCE Works
Learn more about SOLIDWORKS cloud-based collaboration: