SOLIDWORKS Manage Professional tracks your projects, processes and BOMs on a central server for enhanced collaboration and efficiency. The centralization of this data is great, but without a disaster recovery plan all this centralized data could be at risk if there is a hardware failure or ransomware attack. To prevent this you will need to backup two elements externally from your central server.
IMPORTANT: Most SOLIDWORKS Manage systems have a SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional Vault attached. If this is the case you will also need to see how to backup that system, read our SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard & Professional Backup Process post to learn how.
The Backup Process
- The SOLIDWORKS Manage SQL Database backup file (.bak): This database contains all of the data structures and records in your SOLIDWORKS Manage environment. See the below articles for how to create this file as a one time action or on a schedule:
- The “root” folder: This folder contains all the documents associated with Manage. To find it on your Manage server follow the following steps:
- Launch Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Expand [ServerName]\Sites\SWManage\SWMfs
- Right Click and select Manage Application\Advanced Settings…
- Note the “Physical Path” of the site
- Find the “root” folder in the “Physical Path” location
If these two elements are backed up and off loaded from the server then restoring from a complete system failure can be done very quickly with a minimum of data loss.
IMPORTANT: SOLIDWORKS Manage environments that have a SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional vault attached need five total elements for a full restore — two for Manage and three for PDM.
Learn more about SOLIDWORKS Manage
The Administering SOLIDWORKS Manage training course teaches system administrators the basics of how to get started in this expansive software. Topics include basic setup, routine maintenance, connecting to PDM, Document and Record objects, Users and Groups, various field types, and the Web Client.
Get Certified SOLIDWORKS Services from Javelin
Javelin Experts can help you to: