SOLIDWORKS is a powerful 3D modeling software that allows users to create detailed parts and assemblies. One of the features that makes SOLIDWORKS so versatile is the ability to create fillets, which are rounded edges on a part. There are two main methods for creating fillets in SOLIDWORKS: applied fillets and sketched fillets. In this blog post, we will explore the main differences and limitations between using applied fillets and sketched fillets in SOLIDWORKS.
- Applied fillets are created using the “Fillet” command in the “Features” menu.
- They are applied directly to a part without the need for creating a sketch.
- Applied fillets can be created using different types of fillet shapes, such as constant radius, variable radius, and face fillets.
- Applied fillets are dynamic, meaning that they will update automatically if the underlying geometry of the part changes.
- One of the main advantages of applied fillets is that they are easy to create and modify.
- However, they have some limitations when it comes to creating complex shapes, as the fillet shape is limited to a constant or variable radius.
- Sketched fillets are created using a sketch that defines the shape of the fillet.
- They are created using the “Sketch” command in the “Features” menu, followed by the “Extrude” command.
- Sketched fillets allow for more complex shapes, as the fillet shape is defined by the sketch.
- Sketched fillets are not dynamic, meaning that they will not update automatically if the underlying geometry of the part changes.
- One of the main advantages of sketched fillets is that they allow for more complex shapes.
- However, they are more difficult to create and modify compared to applied fillets.
In conclusion, both applied fillets and sketched fillets have their advantages and limitations. When deciding which method to use, it is important to consider the complexity of the fillet shape and the desired level of control over the shape. For simple fillet shapes, applied fillets are often the better choice. For more complex fillet shapes, sketched fillets are often the better choice. It is also important to keep in mind that both methods can be used in conjunction with each other to achieve the desired result.
Learn more about fillets by watching our on-demand webinar >> TriMech Tips & Tricks for SOLIDWORKS Fillets On-demand Webinar.
Get Certified SOLIDWORKS Services from Javelin
Javelin Experts can help you to: