DS SOLIDWORKS are getting ready to start their first round of beta testing for their new SOLIDWORKS Apps for Kids, which was showcased at SOLIDWORKS World 2016 back in February. This is a really cool product that takes what SOLIDWORKS is great at: creating professional applications to address the different stages of design workflow, and breaks it down into fun bite-size applications for kids to have fun and learn about design, art, creativity, crafts, and more. The new apps work on any device similar to the new SOLIDWORKS Xdesign software that was also demonstrated at SOLIDWORKS World.
Check out the proof of concept video below to learn more:
Back in 2005 Dassault Systèmes launched a kids design app called Cosmic Blobs, I recall that being a very cool and popular tool, and I’m sure SOLIDWORKS Apps for Kids will be a similar if not more of a success as kids love to design and make things and it looks like these group of apps can achieve both with the addition of 3D printing.
What are the SOLIDWORKS Apps for kids?
Here is a description of the different Apps included with the product:
- Capture it – Capture ideas and start a design story using pictures, video, or sound. Create inspiration boards, canvases and collages using any device. Kids can even use their smartphone to add content!
- Shape It – Shape ideas into 3D creations of any form. Anything a child can imagine, they can create with this intuitive and easy-to-use modeling tool.
- Style It – Style the Shape It creations with color, stickers, backgrounds and more. Everyone loves painting, so we even made it possible to paint right onto the model!
- Mech It – Mechanisms are made fun with touch-friendly, snap together shapes that work like they are actually real. Make things move or draw amazing spiral art… who knew mechanisms could be so exciting!
- Show It – Show off any creation made in SOLIDWORKS Apps for Kids and tell a story using fun interactive slide shows.
- Print It – Print a creation in 2D, 3D or one of the fun project-based formats and make the creations come to life.
Beta Testing Starting Soon
If you have kids or friends with kids that you think would be ideal candidates to help create, invent, and shape the future of this product then you can sign up on their behalf at the SOLIDWORKS Apps For Kids website and register for beta testing and more information.