When troubleshooting problems within SOLIDWORKS PDM, especially performance issues, it’s important to ensure the client has a strong connection to the server components. Often, tech support will request an extended ping test, to look for issues.
How to complete an extended ping test with log
In Windows 10
- Start button > RMB > Run
- Ping <Database/Archive Server Name> -t -l 1500 >C:\temp\Pingtest.txt
- Let it run for a few minutes, then stop the test by pressing CTRL-C.
The command will be completed, and a log file generated on the C-Drive;
This can then be sent to tech support for further analysis.
- The above test is using an increased packet size of 1500, this improves the quality of the test to a size more comparable with PDM communications.
- Any listings of ‘Request timed out’ or dropped packets would indicate an issue.
- If multiple tests are required (network communication can vary) editing the command from ‘>’ to ‘>>’ will append the existing log, rather than replacing it, so multiple tests can be captured within the one log.
Want to do more with SOLIDWORKS PDM?
Our Certified SOLIDWORKS PDM Experts can help you to: