With SOLIDWORKS 2018 a new geometry selection tool is introduced called Select Over Geometry. The selection tool lets you drag a box or lasso selection over a model without starting the drag from a blank region of the graphics area.This tool is helpful when you drag a box or lasso in a model that is zoomed in and you do not have space in the graphics area to start dragging.
Previously, if you tried to drag a box or lasso on top of geometry, it selected the geometry and you could not create a selection. Without Select over Geometry, if you start the drag on top of geometry, the drag fails and the geometry under your initial click is selected.
Select Over Geometry Shortcut:
Shift + drag a box or lasso around the items to select. Doing this will activate the selection tool and the geometry will be selected.
Other ways of activating Select Over Geometry:
The selection mode can be activated by following other ways:
- Press and release T.
- Click Select over Geometry (Standard toolbar). Select over geometry can be added on command manager as a shortcut by right clicking on command manager > Click on Customize > Command Tab > Standard > Drag and drop select over geometry icon on command manager.
- Click Tools > Select over Geometry.
- Also available in mouse gestures.
When the mode is active, you can do the following:
- Shift + drag a box or lasso to add items to the current selection.
- Drag a box or lasso to clear the current selection and select different items.
- Perform an operation on the current selection (for example, add fillets to selected edges), and then drag a box or lasso to make another selection.
To exit the mode, do one of the following:
- Click anywhere in the graphics area (for example, on a face or edge, or in a blank region).
- Click Select over Geometry (Standard toolbar) or Tools > Select over Geometry to toggle it off.
Get Certified SOLIDWORKS Services from Javelin
Javelin Experts can help you to: