Are your SOLIDWORKS Default Templates not valid? Missing? Not set correctly? Do you see the following message?
Before we attempt to make new templates, we must first see if it is simply a file location issue.
Hush, SOLIDWORKS user, don’t say a word, TriMech’s gonna help you fix it: SOLIDWORKS Default Template Location & Settings (javelin-tech.com)
And if the ProgramData don’t exist, TriMech’s gonna help you find it: My SOLIDWORKS ProgramData Folder is not Visible? (javelin-tech.com)
If those templates don’t exist, TriMech’s gonna help you make it.
See below for steps to create new default templates.
Creating new default templates
If the default templates are missing in the defined Default Template file location, then you can copy them over from another user’s system or easily get SOLIDWORKS to make new ones. Let’s see how SOLIDWORKS can easily make new ones.
- Browse to the specified ProgramData default template location. If default templates exist in the folder already, make sure to click on one of the initial links.
- Close ALL SOLIDWORKS applications.
- Using the Windows Start menu or search bar, type RX and choose the correct RX.
- Open SOLIDWORKS using the Safe Mode option that bypasses the Tools/Options settings.
- Click the new file button. When you do, you will be prompted with a default Units and Dimension Standard selection window. Choose and click Okay.
- Verify the default templates have been created in the correct folder location.
- Close SOLIDWORKS completely, open SOLIDWORKS normally and you are off to the races!
Hopefully this article was helpful in solving the “SOLIDWORKS default templates are not valid” error. If you would like to learn more about the SOLIDWORKS RX tool, please click the link: SOLIDWORKS Support Tips & Tricks – SOLIDWORKS Rx, The Troubleshooting Tool You Didn’t Know Existed – TriMech
Learn more about document templates: Creating custom SOLIDWORKS templates – TriMech
If you want to become a PRO with SOLIWORKS Drawings and be called at Drafting Wizard at your workplace…then taking a TRIMECH SOLIDWORKS Drawings course is the key.
Get Certified SOLIDWORKS Services from Javelin
Javelin Experts can help you to: