SOLIDWORKS software allows you to preserve the value of your AutoCAD 2D DWG data with the best available tools for converting data from 2D to 3D, accommodating reusable 2D geometry, and enabling a smooth transition, including extensive Help documentation for AutoCAD users.
Benefits of Moving from AutoCAD to SOLIDWORKS
- Easily convert AutoCAD 2D designs into 3D models
- Edit and maintain DWG data without the need for AutoCAD
- Automate your current design tasks by using SOLIDWORKS
- Connect and use your existing Autodesk Inventor® models.
Easily convert AutoCAD 2D designs into 3D models
Design sketches and assembly layouts may represent the first step of a consumer product or machine design; and if they exist in AutoCAD, SOLIDWORKS can use them as the foundation for 3D geometry.
SOLIDWORKS provides an Import Wizard to allow DWG/DXF files to be imported directly into the SOLIDWORKS sketcher – from there, it can easily be turned into a 3D model. If the drawing contains multiple orthographic views, SOLIDWORKS will arrange the 2D geometry onto a glass box making it easy to convert the design into 3D.
If there are any problems inherent in the drawing or caused by the translation, the SOLIDWORKS Repair tool will automatically fix these problems in the sketcher.
Edit and maintain DWG data without the need for AutoCAD
For many AutoCAD users, it is often necessary to edit a drawing after importing it. SOLIDWORKS provides an application called DraftSight, which allows users to edit DWG files natively.
A user who is experienced with AutoCAD can easily edit the drawing with DraftSight by using familiar commands. This is because DraftSight has been designed with the same look and feel of the AutoCAD interface. Since DraftSight’s native format is DWG, you can open and save any native AutoCAD file without file conversion.
Automate your current design tasks by using SOLIDWORKS
By switching to SOLIDWORKS 3D design you will be able to accomplish your existing design tasks much quicker:
- Produce 2D drawings automatically – Construct production-ready, detailed drawings automatically, without drawing a single line or arc. SOLIDWORKS eliminates time-consuming drawing view creation, manipulation, and maintenance.
- Revise drawings easily – Each modification that you make to a 2D drawing or 3D model created with SOLIDWORKS software is reflected accurately throughout all associated views, sheets, and drawings. All drawing views, dimensions, and annotations update automatically.
- Eliminate guesswork with associative dimensions – Adding, referencing, or changing a dimension value in a drawing or part model is easy with SOLIDWORKS software. The geometry updates automatically to accommodate each change, eliminating inconsistencies, so you can always be confident in the accuracy of SOLIDWORKS drawings.
- Generate bills of materials instantly – Speed the development of drawings for designs that contain hundreds or thousands or parts by generating bills of materials (BOMs) and balloons automatically.
Find more resources for topic: