Training Course Contents
The focus of the Using SOLIDWORKS PDM course is on the fundamental skills and concepts central to the successful use of SOLIDWORKS PDM including storing documents, revision control, and working within SOLIDWORKS.
This course is designed around a process- or task-based approach to training. Rather than focus on individual features and functions, a process-based training course emphasizes the process and procedures you follow to complete a particular task. By utilizing case studies to illustrate these processes, you learn the necessary commands, options and menus in the context of completing a task.
Course Info at a glance
Requirements & Benefits
Skills you will acquire
Using SOLIDWORKS PDM Lessons
This course will concentrate on the following topics:
Lesson 1: SOLIDWORKS PDM Concepts
- The Fundamentals of PDM
- What is SOLIDWORKS PDM?
- SOLIDWORKS PDM Overview
- SOLIDWORKS PDM Modules
- SOLIDWORKS PDM Components
- File Vault
- View of File Vault
- Working Folder (Cache)
- Access Rights
- SOLIDWORKS PDM ‘Smart’ Files
- SOLIDWORKS PDM ‘Smart’ Folders
- File Data Card
- Folder Data Card
- Versions and Revisions
Lesson 2: SOLIDWORKS PDM User Interface
- SOLIDWORKS PDM User Interface
- Getting Help
- The Explorer Window
- Logging In
- Case Study: Exploring SOLIDWORKS PDM
- SOLIDWORKS PDM User Interface Layout
- Logging Out
- Exercise 1: Explore SOLIDWORKS PDM User Interface
Lesson 3: Document Creation and Check In
- Document Creation and Check In
- Creating New Folders and Files
- Case Study: Checking in Documents
- Add Existing Files
- Document Check In
- Create Files and Folders from Templates
- Advanced Document Check In
- Check In File
- Case Study: Checking in Documents with References
- Exercise 2: Document Creation and Check In
Lesson 4: Versioning Files
- Versioning Files
- Check Out
- Optional Check Out Method
- Case Study: Versioning Files
- Overwriting Latest Versions
- Local File Version
- Get Latest Version
- Get Version
- Overwriting Checked Out Versions
- Undo Check Out
- Exercise 3: Versioning Files
Lesson 5: File References
- File References
- Creating and Removing References
- Case Study: File References
- Copying Files with References
- Case Study: Copy File and References
- Moving Files with References
- Case Study: Move File and References
- Sharing Files
- Exercise 4: File References
Lesson 6: Searching
- Searching SOLIDWORKS PDM
- Name and Location
- Start Searching
- Searching for Checked Out Files
- The Search Results
- Case Study: Search
- Favorite Searches
- Quick Search
- Exercise 5: Search
Lesson 7: Workflow and Notification
- SOLIDWORKS PDM Workflow
- Change File State
- Case Study: Workflow
- Exercise 6: Workflow
Lesson 8: Working in SOLIDWORKS
- Versioning SOLIDWORKS Files
- SOLIDWORKS Add-in
- Add-in Options
- Check Out Files
- Case Study: Versioning Files
- Check In Files
- Managing Local Cache
- Remove Local Copy
- Clear Local Cache
- Working With File Versions
- Exercise 7: Versioning SOLIDWORKS Files
Appendix A: Working with Bill of Materials
- Bill of Materials (BOM)
- Modify Computed BOM
- Modify Computed BOM Quantity
- Activate Computed BOM
- Case Study: Modify a Computed BOM
- Create Named BOM
- Modify Named BOM
- Case Study: Create and Modify a Named BOM
- Compare BOM
"Thanks very much for the great training received this week, you are a true wizard at PDM, we learned a tremendous amount of information and how powerful a tool PDM can be for a company like ours. We look forward to the final steps when we implement this later this month."
— Chris White, Mechanical Designer, Quickmill Inc.
Choose from three different training methods available to you
Receive SOLIDWORKS training as a group in a traditional classroom environment.
Classes can be taken in one of our 12 training locations across Canada using SOLIDWORKS approved training content and methodologies.
- Cost effective training method.
- Leave the office to concentrate on learning.
- Learn more through group questions and feedback.
Live Online Training
With our online training you will experience an interactive learning environment where you can give feedback, gain access to the SOLIDWORKS training files and get time to work on training exercises.
- Online courses are typically half day sessions.
- More effective than video based training, with recorded videos learners are often not as focused on the training and skip exercises.
Onsite at your location
Receive training at your place of work. This style of flexible training is perfect for teams or individuals who are faced with a specific challenge and require personalized courses with on-the-job coaching.
- Use our state-of-the-art mobile classroom at your facility.
- Bring your team up to a consistent level of knowledge by having them take the same training at the same time.
- Benefit from flexible scheduling options.
Choose a Using SOLIDWORKS PDM class from the list below
|Monday, 18th July, 2022||1 Day (5 hours/day)||Online||Get a Quote|
|Monday, 25th July, 2022||1 Day (5 hours/day)||Online||Get a Quote|
|Monday, 22nd August, 2022||1 Day (5 hours/day)||Online||Get a Quote|
|Monday, 19th September, 2022||1 Day (5 hours/day)||Online||Get a Quote|
|Monday, 17th October, 2022||1 Day (5 hours/day)||Online||Get a Quote|
|Monday, 14th November, 2022||1 Day (5 hours/day)||Online||Get a Quote|
|Monday, 12th December, 2022||1 Day (5 hours/day)||Online||Get a Quote|
Get Custom Training
Contact us to learn how the Using SOLIDWORKS PDM course can be included in custom training for your business