Why Configuration Management?
Configuration Management (CM) is a set of processes and procedures that ensures that your business system is understood and works correctly.
CM is essential as it can help manage every part of your business — whether it is the work flow for designing and manufacturing products; the process your IT department follows to implement software, or how your service team deals with customer issues.
With CM you will have a structured and effective methodology for documenting, validating, releasing, and changing requirements in your business.
The common issues our customers face
Organizations struggle with the ability to define and maintain the processes needed to support their Software, Hardware, Systems, Manufacturing, Facilities and Infrastructure throughout the entire business lifecycle.
This is where Configuration Management Training can help...
“Improved technology is not the solution for broken processes. They’re just band-aids!”
All information that could impact the ecosystem of your company must be properly configured.
Adopting Configuration Management
The application of configuration management extends beyond design information to include all requirements for the enterprise, plus your product, service, and solution deliverables throughout your business lifecycle phases.
Configuration management should be applied to all areas of your business especially:
On the Shop Floor
In the Lab
In the Office
Benefits of Configuration Management
Some of the key benefits of Configuration Management include:
- Increased efficiency with a defined configuration process that provides control and improves visibility with tracking.
- Cost reduction by having detailed knowledge of all the elements of the configuration which allows for unnecessary duplication to be avoided.
- Your business will have greater agility and faster problem resolution, giving a better quality of service for your customers.
- Enhanced system and process reliability through more rapid detection and correction of improper configurations that could negatively impact performance.
- The ability to define and enforce formal policies and procedures that can help with process status monitoring and auditing.
- More efficient change management that reduces the risk of product incompatibility or problems.
- Faster restoration of your service if a process failure occurs. If you know the required state of the configuration then recovering the working configuration will be much quicker and easier.
Risks of not using CM
If Configuration Management is ignored or done incorrectly, an organization pays severe penalties in the form of intervention resource expenditure. Those expenditures are the unplanned time, money, and resources expended to compensate for quality and schedule problems.
When quality and schedule problems dominate the energy an organization expends on a daily basis, corrective action becomes the standard “way of working”.
Changing that environment requires an understanding of how current processes relate to best practices and the culture change that is needed to make the transition.
Configuration Mangament with Aras PLM
Learn more about the Aras Innovator Cloud software for CM