Training Course Contents
This classroom based training is designed as a further in-depth course to help understand, interpret and apply the principles of GD&T. It is based on the ASME Y14.5-2018 standard.
By definition, GD&T establishes uniform practices for stating and interpreting dimensions, tolerancing, and related requirements for use on engineering drawings and in related documents.
Course Info at a glance
Why take this course
GD&T is essential to ensure functional information and design intent from the assembly to its individual parts. This insures accurate fitting assemblies and spare parts regardless of where they are manufactured.
The GD&T Advanced course is ideal for Designers, toolmakers, inspectors and project managers.
What the course covers
Our Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing advanced course covers the fundamentals and principles of the ASME Y14.5-2018 GD&T standard. The course focuses on the geometric characteristic symbols explaining in detail each symbol, feature control frames, different modifiers and how they affect tolerancing when placed in the feature control frame.
The course also goes reviews the types of tolerances and the individual geometric characteristic symbols and their tolerance zone. Further explanation on profile tolerances (all round, between points, unequally disposed). Comparison of different characteristics for application purposes.
Requirements & Benefits
Skills you will acquire
GD&T Advanced Lessons
The following lessons are included in the course
Lesson 1: Course Introduction
- Course objectives, general review of GD&T principles
Lesson 2: Characteristics and Symbols
- Review of types of tolerances and the individual geometric characteristic symbols and their tolerance zones
- Further explanation on profile tolerances (all round, between points, unequally disposed)
- Comparison of different characteristics for application purposes
Lesson 3: Modifiers
- MMC, LMC, RFS and how they affect tolerance zones when applied in feature control frames.
- Datum modifiers (MMB, LMB and RMB)
Lesson 4: Composite and Segmented Feature Control Frames
- Composite feature control frames compared to segmented feature control frames (position and profile composites)
Lesson 5: Exercises and Design Applications
- Series of Application exercises and design of mating parts exercises
Lesson 6 Tolerance stacks and tolerance build-up calculations
- Plus minus stacks both symmetrical and bilateral tolerancing
- Profile tolerance stacks
- Profile tolerance stacks (form and orientation considerations)
- Profile assembly stacks
- Boundary detail stacks
- Fixed fastener and floating fastener calculations
- Application exercises looking at applying GD&T to components of an assembly
"The GD&T Advanced course helped me to understand the true function of the part and its relationship to mating surfaces. The instructor was able to carry the course at an excellent speed leaving students enough time to grasp the concept."
— Steven Cargnello, Marsh Brothers Aviation.
Choose from three different training methods available to you
Receive SOLIDWORKS training as a group in a traditional classroom environment.
Classes can be taken in one of our 12 training locations across Canada using SOLIDWORKS approved training content and methodologies.
- Cost effective training method.
- Leave the office to concentrate on learning.
- Learn more through group questions and feedback.
Live Online Training
With our online training you will experience an interactive learning environment where you can give feedback, gain access to the SOLIDWORKS training files and get time to work on training exercises.
- Online courses are typically half day sessions.
- More effective than video based training, with recorded videos learners are often not as focused on the training and skip exercises.
Onsite at your location
Receive training at your place of work. This style of flexible training is perfect for teams or individuals who are faced with a specific challenge and require personalized courses with on-the-job coaching.
- Use our state-of-the-art mobile classroom at your facility.
- Bring your team up to a consistent level of knowledge by having them take the same training at the same time.
- Benefit from flexible scheduling options.
Choose a GD&T Advanced class from the list below
|Monday, 28th February, 2022||3 Days (4 hours/day)||Online||Get a Quote|
|Monday, 9th May, 2022||3 Days (4 hours/day)||Online||Get a Quote|
|Monday, 27th June, 2022||3 Days (4 hours/day)||Online||Get a Quote|
|Monday, 29th August, 2022||3 Days (4 hours/day)||Online||Get a Quote|
|Monday, 24th October, 2022||3 Days (4 hours/day)||Online||Get a Quote|
|Monday, 12th December, 2022||3 Days (4 hours/day)||Online||Get a Quote|
Get Private Training
Contact us to learn how the GD&T Advanced course can be included in private training for your business