Training Course Contents
The SOLIDWORKS Large Assembly and Drawing Workshop is designed for users who find their productivity is drastically affected when working with assemblies or drawings.
Do you have any of the following SOLIDWORKS Assembly issues?
- Long opening time
- Long rebuild time
- Frequent graphics refresh events of 10 seconds to more than 2 minutes
- Frequent lag between clicks (5 to more than 30 seconds)
- Frequent drawing update events of (1 to more than 15 minutes)
- Unexplainable mate errors
- Sudden Crashes
If you experience any of those issues or are frustrated with your SOLIDWORKS performance, this workshop is for you!
Course Info at a glance
Attending the Large Assembly Workshop will help you to:
- Understand the internal processes used by SOLIDWORKS to open / rebuild / update assemblies and drawings
- Determine in which phase of the opening or rebuild process the slowdown occurs
- Learn how to use specialized diagnostic tools to identify the specific factors who cause the slowdowns
- Increase the speed by reducing opening time and lag, using specific techniques for each type of slowdown factor
- Learn best practices for optimizing supplier parts downloaded from websites like McMaster-Carr
- Learn best practices for optimizing complex imported geometry as components of large assemblies
- Learn best practices for creating efficient mating schemes
- Automate repetitive tasks using batch processing tools
- Receive the “Optimal System Settings for Large Assemblies” document
- Learn how to match the optimal tool to the task for maximum efficiency
- Learn best practices for opening drawings fast
- Master the tools for detailing drawings of large assemblies fast
Requirements & Benefits
- Slowdown Diagnostic Tools
- Imported Geometry
- Optimal System Settings
- Performance Tools
- Efficient Mating Schemes
- Flexible Sub-assemblies
- In-Context Dependencies
- Geometry Simplification / Optimization Tools and Techniques
- Automation / Batch Processing
Learn how to solve your SOLIDWORKS Large Assembly Problem
Our Process Improvement Consultants visit 3-4 companies every month in order to understand how they use SOLIDWORKS and identify areas where they will become (much) more productive. During hundreds of visits performed over the past few years, the most common issue we encounter is the “Large Assembly Problem”. Attend the workshop to learn how to solve the problem:
Day 1: Using Large Assembly Tools
It is always a surprise for users to learn that the latest release of SOLIDWORKS includes large assembly troubleshooting tools that can be used to eliminate the factors that are contributing to performance slowdowns.
You may be aware of “Lightweight”, “SpeedPak” and “Simplified Configuration” to name a few, but have not been able to formulate a comprehensive set of procedures to use these tools.
During the workshop you will learn how to identify all the culprits that affect your assembly performance; such as file size, the number of components, number of mates, type of mates, number of update holders, the type of in-context relations, imported parts, or tessellation settings.
We will show you how to pinpoint the culprits and use Large assembly tools to increase performance and load your assemblies in the shortest time possible.
Day 2: Large Assembly Best Practices
In the process of helping our customers we have experienced a large number of situations that impact large assembly performance. We use this knowledge to formulate a comprehensive, easy to understand and implement set of best practices for addressing your large assembly problems; concentrating on studying the five distinct phases that SOLIDWORKS goes through during the assembly opening process and pinpointing each factor responsible for slowdowns during each phase.
The second part of the workshop focuses on the troubleshooting techniques for each phase, discussing in detail the best practices your company should follow to reduce the slowdown factors.
What customers thought of the workshop
“Because of large plant assemblies that are coming our way, we knew we had to do something about it, and going for this course is the best thing we could do. We will be able to take advantage of some SOLIDWORKS features for the simplification of complex devices, that we forgot or never knew about. And we also got some macros for speeding up our work process.”
– Barbara Jerin, JRP Engineering
“This course exposed me to a deeper level of understanding of how SOLIDWORKS behaves behind the scenes, informing me not only on what tools and practices I can use, but why they're important. Coming into this course without a great understanding of the inner workings of SOLIDWORKS, it was a little overwhelming at times. However, this is what can help push my boundaries, and I am eager to put into practice some of what we were shown, and dive deeper into the power of the software.”
– David Koiter, Earthscape
“This course was good at taking existing assemblies and modifying it to make them more efficient. A lot of the subtle changes to models that add up to a lot of extra time loading models, rebuilding, and regenerating graphics. When troubleshooting models, I will be able to provide more concrete examples of how to speed up working with assemblies and drawings.”
– Ian Farquharson, Tigercat Industries
Choose from three different training methods available to you
Receive SOLIDWORKS training as a group in a traditional classroom environment.
Classes can be taken in one of our 12 training locations across Canada using SOLIDWORKS approved training content and methodologies.
- Cost effective training method.
- Leave the office to concentrate on learning.
- Learn more through group questions and feedback.
Live Online Training
With our online training you will experience an interactive learning environment where you can give feedback, gain access to the SOLIDWORKS training files and get time to work on training exercises.
- Online courses are typically half day sessions.
- More effective than video based training, with recorded videos learners are often not as focused on the training and skip exercises.
Onsite at your location
Receive training at your place of work. This style of flexible training is perfect for teams or individuals who are faced with a specific challenge and require personalized courses with on-the-job coaching.
- Use our state-of-the-art mobile classroom at your facility.
- Bring your team up to a consistent level of knowledge by having them take the same training at the same time.
- Benefit from flexible scheduling options.
Choose a SOLIDWORKS Large Assembly and Drawing Workshop class from the list below
Get Custom Training
Contact us to learn how the SOLIDWORKS Large Assembly and Drawing Workshop course can be included in custom training for your business