Answer your thermal design questions
The Electronic Cooling Module for SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation evaluates thermal properties and cooling requirements for standard components. The module includes both analysis productivity capability and enhanced simulation functionality, giving designers and engineers a great toolset to tackle the tough challenges of electronic packaging.
SOLIDWORKS Cooling Module Features
Test & optimize the thermal performance of PCB & electronic components
Electronic Cooling Tools
Product Engineers can optimize the cooling strategy for electronic components concurrent to the design process using the Electronic Cooling Module. This add-in to SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation includes added-value electronic virtual models and an extensive materials library for heat transfer simulation. The additional capabilities include:
- Airflow Optimization - Ensuring the correct volume of cooling flow to all components is a key engineering challenge. Optimizing the airflow can require moving components and/or creating air baffles and ducts.
- Product Thermal Design - Overall thermal behavior must be understood to ensure correct product performance, including heat-up/cool-down cycles and maximum temperature under load.
- Heatsink Selection/Design - Selecting the correct heatsink can be crucial in the operational life of the component to be cooled. The correct heatsink can only be determined with knowledge of the overall airflow and the thermal impacts of the components on the PCB.
- PCB Thermal Simulation - Studying the PCB in isolation allows the designer to evaluate component placement, use of heat pipes, thermal pads and interface materials.
- Fan Selection - Optimizing fan selection and placement can have a dramatic impact on the overall thermal performance of a design.
Industry Specific Tools
Industry Specific Tools in the Electronic Cooling Module are aimed directly for the mechanical engineer designing enclosures for electronic components. The tools are easy to use while providing exceptional simulation power:
- Joule Heating - Joule heating calculates the steady-state direct electric current in electro-conductive solids and is automatically included in heat transfer calculations.
- Two Resistor Components - The two resistor compact model is a test that is based on an approved JEDEC standard. It represents a significant increase in accuracy for predicting absolute results, compared to the traditional single resistor metrics of mono-chip electronic packages.
- Heat Pipes - A simple and pragmatic method for modeling a predominant cooling approach in laptops and other space constrained or conduction cooled designs.
- PCB Generators - Allows you to obtain the bi-axial thermal conductivity values automatically derived from the PCB structure and the properties of the specified conductor and dielectric materials. A simple and standard approach for determining the physical properties of multi-layer PCB’s.
- Engineering Database - An enhanced engineering database includes a wide range of new solids, fans, thermo-electric coolers, and two-resistor components. A library of interface materials and solids representing typical IC packages has also been added.
Additional Cooling Module Benefits
SOLIDWORKS Electronics Cooling Module solutions include:
Dedicated SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation tools, augmented with the Electronic Cooling Module, perform complete thermal analysis, quickly and easily testing changes during design before any physical prototypes are built.
Fluid Flow Analysis
Determine the impact of a liquid or gas on product performance during the design phase using CAD-embedded SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation. Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) studies provide meaningful insight into the impact of fluid flow, so you can address problems early, reduce the need for costly prototypes, and eliminate rework.
CFD simulates fluid (either liquid or gas) passing through or around an object. The analysis can be very complex—for example, containing in one calculation heat transfer, mixing, and unsteady and compressible flows.
"Javelin’s quick response time, sales and technical support are all very good. We implemented SOLIDWORKS in 1998 and to date, remain a satisfied customer"
Brad Toole, Engineering Manager
Breaker Technology Ltd.
"The time we save using SOLIDWORKS and doing our own 3D printing helps us validate designs quickly to meet demanding project deadlines"
Ron Ryan, Fabrication Group Manager
"SOLIDWORKS has definitely brought something different to the Solar Industry. Our U.S. counterparts use 2D, but they will be switching to 3D soon"
Chris White, Design & Technical Manager
“Javelin is an easily accessible reseller who is supportive, knowledgeable and professional. Keep up the Gold Standard level of service.”
Michael Fernando, Tool & Die Designer
Theta Industries Inc.
“SOLIDWORKS is now the de facto standard and Javelin is one of the best SOLIDWORKS resellers. How can you go wrong with a de facto standard on both the reseller and the software?”
John Leavitt, Owner
“Javelin staff and technical support are excellent. They are knowledgeable, helpful and thorough. Technical questions are always answered; either immediately or in a timely manner.”
Christa Carey, Technical Support Manager
“We rely heavily on our software to keep us profitable, and Javelin is always in the background keeping ProVantage running.”
Peter Graham, Engineering Manager
"Javelin does far more than sell software and 3D printers. They provide team support and resources, when there were technical challenges, Javelin stepped up and made it right."
Timm Williams, Partner
"Evolve Design Solutions appreciates the excellent customer service, product knowledge and technical support provided by Javelin, our SOLIDWORKS Value Added Reseller (VAR).”
Aldo Balatti, Principal
Evolve Design Solutions
“Javelin offers the complete package; good products, good service and value for what you need. They’re a great bunch of people who are always willing to help you out.”
Mark McCumber, Senior Designer
F-B Tool & Die Limited
"As far as Javelin goes, they’re really nice guys. Excellent technical support is provided by a consistent group of people. Reasonable, low pressure sales support is also appreciated."
Mike McGuire, President
"I’ve been a believer in SOLIDWORKS PDM since day one because it’s been effective since day one"
Ray Minato, President
Inertia Engineering + Design
"Javelin seems to make an extra effort to ensure that the software’s capabilities are being maximized to benefit the customer.”
Darryl Turrie, Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer
MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co. Limited
"Javelin employees are friendly, knowledgeable and quick to respond with effective solutions, and ZEC Wind Power is very pleased to be affiliated with this company."
Michelle El-Hage, Designer
ZEC Wind Power
SOLIDWORKS Services included
Improve your performance and productivity with Javelin services
With SOLIDWORKS Subscription Service, you have access to extensive help from our SOLIDWORKS experts. Which will enhance your software investment and guide you through development challenges.
- Live Technical Support from our certified support team.
- Remote Support to solve your technical issue right on your machine.
- Regular Communication of software updates and technical tips and tricks.
Upgrades & Resources
Enjoy the latest version of your software and direct access to a comprehensive library of drawings, parts, assemblies, and features contributed by users around the globe.
- Automatic Upgrades to the most Up-to-date Version of your SOLIDWORKS software.
- FREE access to the SOLIDWORKS Customer Portal for Macros, Documentation, and the ability to submit Enhancement Requests.
- Full access to the SOLIDWORKS Knowledge Base for Articles, Tech Tips, and Best Practices.
Online Training & Certification
- SolidProfessor includes 15K+ online tutorial videos.
- FREE access to SOLIDWORKS testing and certification to help you become a Certified SOLIDWORKS Associate (CSWA) or Professional (CSWP).
Find out the Cost
Get Canadian pricing for SOLIDWORKS software