One in five Canadians will experience mental health problems or mental illness in any given year and most suffer in silence fearing judgement and rejection. Each week, more than 500,000 Canadians miss work because of mental illness.
At Javelin-Cimetrix, we encourage conversations about mental health and well-being. So much of our time involves being in the workplace and thinking about work – it’s important for all of us to care for ourselves and look out for each other.
As an employer, we’re pleased to provide a Work-Life Employee Assistance Program, including confidential counselling support for the life challenges that may be overwhelming, as well as information about the day-to-day responsibilities that demand our attention – everything from caring for aging parents, to parenting, to buying or selling a house. During times when specialized medical advice and treatment is necessary, we put employees in touch with the best in healthcare options.
The Canadian Mental Health Association Peel Dufferin has assisted us with training, resources, and advice, some of which we’d like to pass along to you:
Watch for early signs that your mental health, or that of someone around you, is at risk. These may include:
- Indecisiveness or confusion
- Sleep disturbances
- Apathy (lack of interest in activities previously enjoyed)
- Physical upsets
- Extreme sadness/crying spells
- Negative attitude
Consider ways to help:
- Ask questions and listen carefully
- Have open conversation
- Offer resources (information from trusted sources, community supports)
- Remember the person behind the illness
Take care of yourself (for you, and so you can help someone else):
- Move your body
- Interact with people
- Journal (get thoughts out of your head)
- Participate in activities you enjoy
- Volunteer your time
- Learn a new skill
- Maintain a healthy diet
When work stresses you out, figure out:
- What can come off my plate?
- How can I shift responsibilities?
- What can I add? (see self-care above!)
We all have a role to play. For mental health information and resources, or to find a CMHA branch near you, visit www.cmha.ca.
To learn more about working at Javelin, visit www.javelin-tech.com/site/careers/.