Keep Electric Designs in Synch with the PDM Connector Tool
As electrical system designers work on an electrical project, it is critical for them to collaborate and share pertinent data while still maintaining project integrity and accuracy.
Designers must ensure that selected parts are accurate, that stakeholders have access to the information they need, and that all collaborators maintain a single source of truth for the project. Now electrical designers can take advantage of SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional to manage all of these requirements with the PDM Connector tool in SOLIDWORKS Electrical.
- SOLIDWORKS Electrical makes it easy to start new projects, whether you want to start from scratch or a copy of an existing project. Quickly create a new project right from Windows Explorer, just as you would with any other PDM file. Immediately, the SOLIDWORKS Electrical project is stored and managed within the PDM Vault. As the project is generated, it’s easy to start adding critical project properties. To define project elements such as a contract number, use a PDM Serial number, which automatically generates a unique ID, thereby greatly reducing the risk of errors.
- Part selection is simplified with filters to narrow down choices, and the library is now synchronized with PDM, so you can determine at a glance if the parts under consideration are approved for use. This synchronization enables users, like the Library Manager, to control access to library information, without needing to open SOLIDWORKS Electrical.
- Manufacturer part details are managed through data cards for both parts and cables, and then pushed into Electrical upon synchronization. This process can be seamless for the designer, who just works as normal with added confidence that the parts in use are approved and up-to-date.
- As design work nears completion, each project book gets a folder with individual copies of each schematic. A complete archive of the project is included as well as a full PDF of the design. These ensure downstream stakeholders have clear and concise visibility of the entire Electrical project. Now no time is lost on preparing deliverables to share and stakeholders requesting updates will not interrupt design work.
- Accurate Bills of Materials (BOMs) that leverage the synchronized library are automatically placed in a separate folder so they are easily accessible by anyone across the enterprise – not just the electrical designers. The BOMs references the synchronized manufacturer part library so you can easily see which designs are using individual parts. It is also easy to take advantage of PDM functionality, such as compare BOMs, to review what has changed between versions.
Use SOLIDWORKS PDM as your true source for all product design data. Design teams will always have access to up-to-date information, keeping your project accurate and on time.
The updated SOLIDWORKS PDM Connector tool for SOLIDWORKS Electrical gives you greater control and enables better collaboration between Mechanical and Electrical design teams.
SOLIDWORKS® Product Data Management (PDM) products manage and synchronize your design data across your entire enterprise with a single, easily deployable solution tightly integrated with SOLIDWORKS 2019.
By leveraging a secure vault, you can extend the access to your 3D design environment and associated files, for all participants from engineering through manufacturing. This enables everyone involved in your projects to share information and collaborate on designs, while automatically protecting your intellectual property with the automated version and revision control systems.
Related resources for SOLIDWORKS 2019: