What is SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard?
SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard, powered by Microsoft® SQL Server Express and fully embedded into SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD and Windows® Explorer, provides an intuitive set of configurable tools to manage your SOLIDWORKS files.
Designed for the Workgroup
SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard helps SOLIDWORKS and DraftSight users easily and efficiently organize and manage their data. SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard can be easily upgraded to SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional if and when needs change.
Bring your design data under control and improve the way your teams manage and collaborate on product development.
File Reference Management
Maintain all file references between SOLIDWORKS parts, assemblies, drawings, and other types of design data automatically.
Available PDM CAD client for SOLIDWORKS, Contributor Client for non-CAD users, and Viewer Client for team members who just need to review data.
Revision and Version Control (limited to 2 schemes)
Ensure the appropriate personnel are always working with the right version of a design.
Take advantage of powerful file searching tools to quickly find the design data that you need across a range of file types.
Electronic Workflow (limited to 1)
Create an electronic workflow to formalize, manage, and optimize processes. With a maximum of 10 workflow states.
Save time by using an automated, electronic process to circulate documents for signature and approval.
SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard Clients can be shared via a network license
File Structure Copy and Rename
File structure and naming manipulation capabilities enable easier reuse of design data. Repurpose existing CAD model structures to account for new “same as, but different” scenarios that utilize existing designs.
Facilitate compliance with government regulatory requirements and industry standards.
Protect your product design data with secure, managed access for only authorized Individuals. In addition to internal users, you can permit access to partners, customers and your supply chain through VPN access.
Fast Data Access
SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard maintains the convenience of local file access directly from your workstation and only uses the network to check-in or check-out files, as needed
Audit Trail and History
Maintain a complete history of product design, engineering, and development activities.
SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard Features
Centralize the storage of all your engineering data and related files
Find the data you are looking for fast
Engineers and designers can spend a lot of time searching for files. SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard offers robust search tools to speed the process.
- Advanced searching inside Windows Explorer
- Configurable search form presents users with input fields relating to company specific information
- Built-in SOLIDWORKS file preview helps confirm the desired file is accessed
Maintain version and revision history
Creating and maintaining proper version and revision history is difficult and creates a lot of duplicate information. SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard makes this easy because it automatically maintains full design history.
- Versions are automatically created and references updated
- Flexible revision scheme to adhere to company standards
- Increment revisions automatically based on a defined approval process
- Easily retrieve previous versions of parts, assemblies, and drawings while working in SOLIDWORKS
Relying on paper-based or inefficient document approval processes wastes time. SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard helps to automate this process and keeps everyone up to date.
- Control access to certain users or groups based on workflow state
- Automatically send notifications to designated users and groups when files have changed state
- Utilize up to 10 configurable states to add electronic signature information during the approval process
- Easy-to-use graphical workflow tool
SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard Training
Learn how to use the client and administrator tools
Using SOLIDWORKS PDM
In the Using SOLIDWORKS PDM Course you will learn the essential skills for managing files with SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard and Professional versions
SOLIDWORKS PDM Case Studies
Canadian Designers & Manufacturers organize their data with SOLIDWORKS PDM
SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard vs Professional
Which version is right for you?
SOLIDWORKS Standard PDM FAQs
Discover the differences between the SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard and Professional versions:
This Microsoft article provides a comparison between SQL Express used for the PDM Standard version and SQL Standard used on the PDM Professional version. The important thing to note is the limit of the database of 10 GB on SQL Express. This may prove to be an issue for larger vaults.
Yes, the licenses will be allowed to float among users and across multiple regions as SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional licenses do today. If your company has a mix of SOLIDWORKS Standard and SOLIDWORKS Professional and/or Premium, a SOLIDWORKS Standard user would be able to consume a SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard CAD Editor license. This is provided you have installed the SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard CAD Editor client.
No, SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional vaults will not be compatible with SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard and cannot be “downgraded”.
Yes, but any feature (i.e. Transition Action for Executing a Task or replication settings) that is not supported by SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard must be removed from the export file before it can be imported.
PDF files will be able to be managed in SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard, however since Tasks, Add-ins and API support is not included, no automated creation of PDFs will be possible. In addition, viewing PDF files will not be possible via the View File menu or in the Windows Explorer Preview tab.
SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional Advantages
Here are a list of the main advantages of using SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional:
- Multi-site replication is key to allowing the sharing of data across multiple locations. This functionality can ensure that all locations have the latest versions of files.
- Search: The additional search tools in SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional, allows the creation of custom searches, saving of search favorites and increased search performance.
- Viewers: SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional allows the use of viewers for file types other than SOLIDWORKS. This allows users to preview non-SOLIDWORKS files while browsing the vault.
- Templates allows the automation and standardization of creating documents, such as ECO’s. Templates can also automatically create a predefined folder structure and automatically name these folders. For example, a folder could be named after project number or customer.
- Serial Numbers can be automatically generated in SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional. Files can then be automatically named, using the serial number.
- Multiple Workflows allows a separate workflow for different products, departments and divisions.
- Unlimited Workflow States allows the creation of a workflow that accurately represents a company’s product lifecycle.
- Automated Tasks can be used to run tasks that are performed frequently. For example, batch printing of files, or the conversion of files to different file formats.
- Web Clients allows customers, vendors and others to access files in the vault through the web. Access permission is controlled by the PDM administrator.
"Javelin’s quick response time, sales and technical support are all very good. We implemented SOLIDWORKS in 1998 and to date, remain a satisfied customer"
Brad Toole, Engineering Manager
Breaker Technology Ltd.
"The time we save using SOLIDWORKS and doing our own 3D printing helps us validate designs quickly to meet demanding project deadlines"
Ron Ryan, Fabrication Group Manager
"SOLIDWORKS has definitely brought something different to the Solar Industry. Our U.S. counterparts use 2D, but they will be switching to 3D soon"
Chris White, Design & Technical Manager
“Javelin is an easily accessible reseller who is supportive, knowledgeable and professional. Keep up the Gold Standard level of service.”
Michael Fernando, Tool & Die Designer
Theta Industries Inc.
“SOLIDWORKS is now the de facto standard and Javelin is one of the best SOLIDWORKS resellers. How can you go wrong with a de facto standard on both the reseller and the software?”
John Leavitt, Owner
“Javelin staff and technical support are excellent. They are knowledgeable, helpful and thorough. Technical questions are always answered; either immediately or in a timely manner.”
Christa Carey, Technical Support Manager
“We rely heavily on our software to keep us profitable, and Javelin is always in the background keeping ProVantage running.”
Peter Graham, Engineering Manager
"Javelin does far more than sell software and 3D printers. They provide team support and resources, when there were technical challenges, Javelin stepped up and made it right."
Timm Williams, Partner
"Evolve Design Solutions appreciates the excellent customer service, product knowledge and technical support provided by Javelin, our SOLIDWORKS Value Added Reseller (VAR).”
Aldo Balatti, Principal
Evolve Design Solutions
“Javelin offers the complete package; good products, good service and value for what you need. They’re a great bunch of people who are always willing to help you out.”
Mark McCumber, Senior Designer
F-B Tool & Die Limited
"As far as Javelin goes, they’re really nice guys. Excellent technical support is provided by a consistent group of people. Reasonable, low pressure sales support is also appreciated."
Mike McGuire, President
"I’ve been a believer in SOLIDWORKS PDM since day one because it’s been effective since day one"
Ray Minato, President
Inertia Engineering + Design
"Javelin seems to make an extra effort to ensure that the software’s capabilities are being maximized to benefit the customer.”
Darryl Turrie, Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer
MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co. Limited
"Javelin employees are friendly, knowledgeable and quick to respond with effective solutions, and ZEC Wind Power is very pleased to be affiliated with this company."
Michelle El-Hage, Designer
ZEC Wind Power
SOLIDWORKS Services included
Improve your performance and productivity with Javelin services
With SOLIDWORKS Subscription Service, you have access to extensive help from our SOLIDWORKS experts. Which will enhance your software investment and guide you through development challenges.
- Live Technical Support from our certified support team.
- Remote Support to solve your technical issue right on your machine.
- Regular Communication of software updates and technical tips and tricks.
Upgrades & Resources
Enjoy the latest version of your software and direct access to a comprehensive library of drawings, parts, assemblies, and features contributed by users around the globe.
- Automatic Upgrades to the most Up-to-date Version of your SOLIDWORKS software.
- FREE access to the SOLIDWORKS Customer Portal for Macros, Documentation, and the ability to submit Enhancement Requests.
- Full access to the SOLIDWORKS Knowledge Base for Articles, Tech Tips, and Best Practices.
Online Training & Certification
A MySolidWorks online account is included with your subscription service where you can get answers, stay current, and sharpen your design skills with online training:
- Your MySolidWorks Standard Account includes 600+ online tutorial videos.
- FREE access to SOLIDWORKS testing and certification to help you become a Certified SOLIDWORKS Associate (CSWA) or Professional (CSWP).
Find out the Cost
Get Canadian pricing for SOLIDWORKS software